+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Holding a foreign drivers licence and G1 learner’s permit

Reddo45332

Dec 21, 2017
Hello, I am a non-resident Canadian citizen who has recently returned to Canada and taken up permanent residence. I am an experienced driver with a driver’s licence (in English) from a country that does not have an exchange agreement in place with Ontario. I also have an international drivers permit. The law says that new residents to Ontario can use a valid licence from another province, state or country for 60 days. After 60 days, they need to switch to an Ontario driver’s licence.

Last month, I passed the written test and got my G1 license (learners permit). The DriveTest Centre let me keep my foreign driver’s license. I am practicing for my upcoming G2 (road test) using a friend’s car.

Can I use my foreign driver’s license to drive around for 60 days even though I also have a G1 license? Is this legal? Please advise, thanks.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
You'll have to check Ontario laws closely, but probably not. Its generally not legal to have more than one license at a time and since you are now an Ontario resident, you probably are required by law to be licensed and insured in Ontario. You have probably submitted yourself to Ontario's jurisdiction by obtaining the learner's permit prior to the 60 days running out, thus rendering your foreign license illegal for driving use in Ontario. But again, you'll need to do more research to be sure. I'd start by contacting the MTO.