+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

holders of US Immigrant and CANADA PR

Domileyhanri

May 6, 2022
I am a holder of an Immigrant visa for both US and Canada, we plan to land in Canada first to confirm our landing then move to the US. Since it's quite expensive to send them to university in the US, can my children return to study in Canada and maintain their US green card while me and my spouse work in the US?
thank you for your input.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am a holder of an Immigrant visa for both US and Canada, we plan to land in Canada first to confirm our landing then move to the US. Since it's quite expensive to send them to university in the US, can my children return to study in Canada and maintain their US green card while me and my spouse work in the US?
This is a US immigration question. You need to ask this question on a US immigration forum.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
I see, another person wanting to have their cake and eat it, too

Reactions: Copingwithlife

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You should be aware that you may become tax residents if your children attend school in Canada even if you don't move to Cabada yourself. This is a US immigration question but believe if they are still green card holders they will have to spend 6 months a year in the US. On general you can't usually complete the green card requirements while also meeting RO for Canada. If you are worried about cost of school your children can attend a community college for the first 2 years and then transfer to a state college.

ustocanada49

Star Member
Jan 6, 2017
Following. I might be in this status too, soon. Researching to see if I can live in Canada and convert GC to Commuter GC.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Following. I might be in this status too, soon. Researching to see if I can live in Canada and convert GC to Commuter GC.
If you don’t meet your RO in Canada it would not be a good idea to cross the border into Canada multiple times a week or even daily. At a certain point you are likely to be reported.