+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Hold COPR (no PR yet) and applying for an L1 visa (US)

PIT

Aug 8, 2019
Hello,

I have a COPR that will expire in Dec. I planned to move to Canada in August but my employer offered me a relocation to US which I am planning to take for 2 years. My wife is a Canadian and she plans to come with me as well.
Can I apply for an L1 visa without any impact on my COPR or I should land in Canada, get my PR and only after that to apply for L1?

Thanks!

Last edited:

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
All you have to know is that if you don’t land before the expiry date on your COPR, your PR application is cancelled—you can receive an RPRF refund.

If your wife is Canadian, she may be able to sponsor you in the future.

I don’t think anything you do with your Canadian PR status can affect your L1 application, but someone can correct me if I’m wrong.

It might be theoretically be possible for you to make a short landing near the expiry date, do your two years in the US, and then remain in Canada thereafter.

PIT

Aug 8, 2019
Thanks for this reply. My concern is the opposite, if the L1 can affect my COPR when I land.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Thanks for this reply. My concern is the opposite, if the L1 can affect my COPR when I land.
No, it shouldn't. You just need to be aware of the expiry date for landing and residency obligation to keep PR status. That's all.