+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Hold Canadian citizenship but have never lived in Canada. Can I still sponsor my spouse?

SaffaGirl

Sep 30, 2018
Hi there,

So, my husband is a Canadian passport holder and has his citizen card. He has not, however, ever lived in Canada. He has been on holiday once. He holds dual South African and Canadian citizenship. We are looking to immigrate to Vancouver within the next 2-3 years. I am a dual Irish and South African citizenship holder and our daughter is full South African. We currently live in South Africa.

My questions are:

1) Does he qualify to be a sponsor?
2) How can he prove that he intends to live there on approval of the sponsorship and PR?
3) Would it be better for him to travel to Canada for job interviews, set up with bank accounts, SIN etc?
4) Would it be better for my daughter and to travel with him on a visitors visa (or something similar) and apply from within, while he essentially gets settled, i.e. job, cellphone, banking etc

Appreciate the help :)

BertlCamus

Star Member
Sep 26, 2017
Hi there,

So, my husband is a Canadian passport holder and has his citizen card. He has not, however, ever lived in Canada. He has been on holiday once. He holds dual South African and Canadian citizenship. We are looking to immigrate to Vancouver within the next 2-3 years. I am a dual Irish and South African citizenship holder and our daughter is full South African. We currently live in South Africa.

My questions are:

1) Does he qualify to be a sponsor?
2) How can he prove that he intends to live there on approval of the sponsorship and PR?
3) Would it be better for him to travel to Canada for job interviews, set up with bank accounts, SIN etc?
4) Would it be better for my daughter and to travel with him on a visitors visa (or something similar) and apply from within, while he essentially gets settled, i.e. job, cellphone, banking etc

Appreciate the help :)
Should be possible! Canadian Citizens can sponsor from outside of Canada. You must have an intent to live in Canada once your PR is approved though, which you do. Just a matter of explaining it clearly and honestly.

Reactions: SaffaGirl

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Sounds like your husband got citizenship by descent so doesn't pass down to his daughter. He would have to sponsor both of you and once approved you are expected to relocate. Setting up bank accounts, looking for/setting up housing, getting a/looking for a job, etc. shows intent to settle.

SaffaGirl

Sep 30, 2018
Sounds like your husband got citizenship by descent so doesn't pass down to his daughter. He would have to sponsor both of you and once approved you are expected to relocate. Setting up bank accounts, looking for/setting up housing, getting a/looking for a job, etc. shows intent to settle.
Yes he received citizenship through his mom. He intends on sponsoring both of us. :)