+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Hiring a relative as nanny

journeytocitizenship

Sep 20, 2016
I would like to hire a relative as a nanny for my kids. I know the steps to obtain LMIA but just curious if it would be allowed to hire a blood relative.
She also has a visitor visa. Would it be okay if she comes here and applies work permit from Canada or does it have to be from her home country?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I would like to hire a relative as a nanny for my kids. I know the steps to obtain LMIA but just curious if it would be allowed to hire a blood relative.
She also has a visitor visa. Would it be okay if she comes here and applies work permit from Canada or does it have to be from her home country?
She should apply from her home country. Lower chances of approval if she applies from Canada.

It generally is harder to get an approval when you are trying to hire a relative. You'll want to make sure she has the training / work experience required to qualify.

journeytocitizenship

Sep 20, 2016
Thanks for the reply. She has a caregiver certificate although it doesn't specify children. I would prefer a family member to raise my kids.
How can I increase the chances of approval?

chie042012

Oct 27, 2012
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Thanks for the reply. She has a caregiver certificate although it doesn't specify children. I would prefer a family member to raise my kids.
How can I increase the chances of approval?
We are on the same boat. I got the positive LMIA and my niece is now preparing her work permit application. I would suggest to write an invitation letter stating why you would want to hire a relative to take care of your child.

journeytocitizenship

Sep 20, 2016
We are on the same boat. I got the positive LMIA and my niece is now preparing her work permit application. I would suggest to write an invitation letter stating why you would want to hire a relative to take care of your child.
Please let me know how it works out for you. Did you write a letter for LMIA or work permit?

SerenaBeau

Jun 15, 2020
Hi,

Does your niece have a caregiving experience and education prior to coming here? Thanks!