+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

High School in Canada

silo66

Jun 9, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

I currently have PR and live in BC. My sister is interested in coming and living with me and would like to go to high school here. Would applying for a student visa the best way of doing so? And would it be a problem that she's away from our parents and living with me?

Thank you!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi

She would need to apply for a study permit. You would need to be listed as her custodian.

Note that she will be required to pay international student fees, somewhere around $13000/year.

silo66

Jun 9, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I see. Thank you :) A few more questions:

Would school arrangements have to be made before she applies for the visa? (I know this is the case for post-secondary education but I couldn't see a clear answer on the CIC website for high schools.)

Can she apply to any high school in the area where I live or are schools automatically designated?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
silo66 said:
Would school arrangements have to be made before she applies for the visa? (I know this is the case for post-secondary education but I couldn't see a clear answer on the CIC website for high schools.)

Can she apply to any high school in the area where I live or are schools automatically designated?
Yes, she needs a letter of acceptance. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/minors-documents.asp

Important: Generally, those applying for a study permit, including those at the primary or secondary school level, need to provide a letter of acceptance from the applicable educational institution in Canada. Applicants may provide either the original letter of acceptance or an electronic version.

You need to look at the school catchments in your area to see where she could attend.

Lauraadam

Jan 18, 2017
Secondary teaching in Canada offers a diversity of schools, packages and formats, each intended to meet dissimilar student needs. The Canadian secondary school system includes public global high schools, private global high schools, room schools, all-girls universities, all-boys universities and Catholic or extra Christian high schools. This wide range of choices gives scholars observing at schools in Canada great selections for their education.