+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

`High Error Rate' found at CIC

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Credit to thegorchess for posting this in the Inland 2013 thread:
http://www.thestar.com/news/immigration/2015/01/05/high_error_rate_found_in_canadas_immigration_processing.html

"According to the review of 996 files handled between Nov. 1 and Dec. 6, 2014, at the Vegreville operation, which deals with permanent residence applications, the quality management team found these shortcomings in the 617 request letters sent"

I thought everything was shipped off to CPC-M (Mississauga) early last year?!

Tragic.

handsup

Champion Member
Sep 1, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Mar 2013
VISA ISSUED...
Feb 2015
Disgusting, they play with people's lives by their so called Quality System huh. A forum member's DOB is written wrong by them and other got nothing because CIC got misspell in email ID told by and MP.

jpsant

Aug 14, 2014
Visa Office......
SP
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-11-2014
AOR Received.
17-02-2015
Med's Done....
12-11-2014
handsup said:
Disgusting, they play with people's lives by their so called Quality System huh. A forum member's DOB is written wrong by them and other got nothing because CIC got misspell in email ID told by and MP.
Sad.. the waiting feels forever specially when one of the spouses are outside of Canada. =/

justagirrl

Star Member
Dec 17, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Havana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-06-2014
Doc's Request.
26-08-2014
AOR Received.
N/A
File Transfer...
07-08-2014
Med's Request
up front
Med's Done....
06-06-2014
Passport Req..
21-01-2015
VISA ISSUED...
28-01-2015
LANDED..........
22-02-2015
It makes me so angry that there is nothing that we can do about it.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just one of the many parts of the article that made me say bad words...out loud:

According to the union, casual employees make up half the workforce responsible for the reviews of permanent residence applications. These employees, mostly students, are given three days of training on the department’s global case management system (GCMS) and rotate on three shifts.

Reactions: Jii_Little

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
wow! i hope that is unique to that office and they get their sh*t together. eesh!!!

Reactions: Jii_Little

etienbjel

Star Member
May 15, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-07-2014
Doc's Request.
09-10-2014
AOR Received.
30-07-2014
File Transfer...
29-10-2014
Med's Done....
15-05-2014
Interview........
Initially requested but waived after providing more evidence online
Passport Req..
12-01-2016
VISA ISSUED...
10-02-2016
LANDED..........
20-05-2016
Ponga said:
Just one of the many parts of the article that made me say bad words...out loud:

According to the union, casual employees make up half the workforce responsible for the reviews of permanent residence applications. These employees, mostly students, are given three days of training on the department's global case management system (GCMS) and rotate on three shifts.
Was just going to comment on that. What in the F**K would a student know about a genuine relationship?? I really really hope that these kids aren't reviewing family sponsorship PRs.

GISGeek

Aug 7, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-08-2014
File Transfer...
27-10-2014
Med's Request
1st Upfront; 1st re-med: 19-05-2015; 2nd re-med: 09-10-2015
Med's Done....
24-07-2014: 1st re-med on: 28-05-2015; 2nd re-med: on 02-11-2015
Interview........
Waived, DM on 10 Nov 2015
Passport Req..
23-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
06-11-2015, COPR received on 07-12-2015
The great people at CIC sent COPR to one of my friend's lady relative by putting her last name same as her first name. The poor lady had gotten her approval after waiting for several years, became scared of contacting CIC and requesting correction. Hence, sticking with the name given to her by CIC.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
etienbjel said:
Was just going to comment on that. What in the F**K would a student know about a genuine relationship?? I really really hope that these kids aren't reviewing family sponsorship PRs.
Exactly!

When CIC posted the announcement (Feb 13, 2014) indicating that all files were being transferred from Vegreville to Mississauga, it was supposed to be a good thing.

Promised- Feb 13, 2014:

To improve service and processing efficiency, responsibility for processing SCLPC applications was transferred from CPC-V to CPC-M to leverage its expertise in family class processing. These changes will ensure that Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) continues to meet its operational objectives in support of the Department’s ongoing modernization agenda.

-----

Reality
- Jan 6, 2015:

...“You have casual employees brought in within a short time with little training while qualified people are shown the door, and the public is left with people who are not on top of their job,” he said.

According to the union, casual employees make up half the workforce responsible for the reviews of permanent residence applications. These employees, mostly students, are given three days of training on the department’s global case management system (GCMS) and rotate on three shifts.
---------

How on earth is that leveraging the expertise in FC processing? The experts have been replaced by students with 3 days worth of training!

jpsant

Aug 14, 2014
Visa Office......
SP
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-11-2014
AOR Received.
17-02-2015
Med's Done....
12-11-2014
Ponga said:

According to the union, casual employees make up half the workforce responsible for the reviews of permanent residence applications. These employees, mostly students, are given three days of training on the department's global case management system (GCMS) and rotate on three shifts.
So how do I apply? LOL

jpsant

Aug 14, 2014
Visa Office......
SP
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-11-2014
AOR Received.
17-02-2015
Med's Done....
12-11-2014
Ponga said:
Exactly!

When CIC posted the announcement (Feb 13, 2014) indicating that all files were being transferred from Vegreville to Mississauga, it was supposed to be a good thing.

Promised- Feb 13, 2014:

To improve service and processing efficiency, responsibility for processing SCLPC applications was transferred from CPC-V to CPC-M to leverage its expertise in family class processing. These changes will ensure that Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) continues to meet its operational objectives in support of the Department's ongoing modernization agenda.

-----

Reality
- Jan 6, 2015:

...“You have casual employees brought in within a short time with little training while qualified people are shown the door, and the public is left with people who are not on top of their job,” he said.

---------

How on earth is that leveraging the expertise in FC processing? The experts have been replaced by students with 3 days worth of training!
They always affirm it's for the best but it ends up the same =(
They need a better management plan there =/

GustavesF

Oct 29, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-04-2014
AOR Received.
26-01-2015
LANDED..........
08-10-2015
Ponga said:

Reality
- Jan 6, 2015:

I'm skeptical the problem is due to "students with 3 days of training" handling our cases.
That sounds like stereotypical dinosaur union talking about changes being made that give the union less power and privileges than it is used to.
That's also the feeling I get when I read the portion talking about how difficult it is to cope with regulations that change bi-weekly.

When I inquired why a paid service is so backlogged and inefficient, I was told that highly skilled people handle these cases and that new hires can't do the job until fairly late in the game. So it's not easy to hire the kinds of people they put on the job. Of course I don't believe that entirely.

I doubt these jobs are any more special than the jobs you or I do. I'm sure we have a lot of professionals on this forum, and I'm sure a lot of us understand the state of unions in Canada, particularly government unions.

It's pathetic that operations would cease for 3 months because they decided to move operations to a different facility. Real companies make provisions so dramatic effects don't occur because a facility moved. Have you ever told a customer that they would have to wait an additional 3 months for their product because you decided to stop all work while moving to a new office? This happens directly following a strike? Is that a joke?

I will never trust anything a "union leader" says, ever. All they care about is protecting their cash cow, so of course they want us to believe that hiring new, young, workers is causing the sky to fall.

One problem is certainly the union, which forces the process to be more expensive and less efficient than it should be. This means less cash to hire new people, less accountability (and more errors), less process improvement, etc.
If there is a second problem with the under-trained student workers (poaching jobs from the overly entitled union), then hiring these "students" full time would remedy the issue, especially after a month or two (in contrast to the 16 months we're waiting for AIP).

Of course, I doubt these students are operating at any level other than clerk, and any real decision making is likely left to qualified individuals.
But, in the union's eyes, this clerk should be a tenured due-paying union member with 7 weeks of vacation and 4 bankable sick-weeks per year instead of a low-wage earning student with no benefits. So of course they're going to blame everything on the student.

My opinion is that the entire process is flawed and prone to errors. Every single part.

GustavesF

Oct 29, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-04-2014
AOR Received.
26-01-2015
LANDED..........
08-10-2015
Here we go:

Do casual workers pay union dues?

No. Casual workers are not employees of the public service and are not subject to paying union dues.
http://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/faq/ocas-eng.asp

So, hiring "Casual Workers" is a way to work around the Union and whatever crippling limitations/expenses they place on employers/employees.

In essence, they're the Union's natural enemy. So anything the Union says about them should be taken with a grain of garbage.

brucem

Apr 21, 2014
Edinburgh
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-07-2014
Doc's Request.
23-01-2015
AOR Received.
22-08-2014
File Transfer...
22-08-2014
Med's Done....
26-06-2014
VISA ISSUED...
08-05-2015
LANDED..........
08-07-2015
We need a mole.....anyone know any takers?!

https://emploisfp-psjobs.cfp-psc.gc.ca/psrs-srfp/applicant/page1800?toggleLanguage=en&noBackBtn=true&poster=222716&psrsMode=1