+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Hi! Got my pgwp refused for some minor reason being I wasn't continuously full time! What to do?

Beau96

Feb 6, 2020
I apply on 3 November 2019 . Got refused February 4th 2019. Cause I was not continuously full time. Didn't take any break but went part time two times due to limited funds. Please I was wondering if I was still available for retauration of status? Since it say I still have 90 days after my permit is expired!! Is that true or since I graduated on August my status is already jeopardize and I can't apply for a restoration??? Please anyone help on this matter running out of time

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I apply on 3 November 2019 . Got refused February 4th 2019. Cause I was not continuously full time. Didn't take any break but went part time two times due to limited funds. Please I was wondering if I was still available for retauration of status? Since it say I still have 90 days after my permit is expired!! Is that true or since I graduated on August my status is already jeopardize and I can't apply for a restoration??? Please anyone help on this matter running out of time
Not a "minor reason". It is a very basic requirement that you must be continuously full-time with the exception of the last semester. You were correctly refused.

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
It should be 90 days from your rejection unless it was considered an invalid application I think, does your rejection not say anything about status?

You would need to get admitted to a college then apply for restoration + study permit.

jweekend

Champion Member
Dec 13, 2019
Taking a part time semester is considered a break in studies and therefore you do not meet the eligibility for pgwp

Hassan7601

Jul 5, 2019
Not a "minor reason". It is a very basic requirement that you must be continuously full-time with the exception of the last semester. You were correctly refused.
I've seen a lot of people in this thread who have had 1 part time semester in between their studies, not their last term and still got approved.... I am just assuming that if you have like only one part time term in your whole degree they still consider, what would you say...?

Like for a Masters program at UOttawa, they always write full time even if you have 2 courses or 3 courses. Generally 3 courses is considered for full time studies on a graduate level..... just asking for a cousin, thanks.

She started in Sept 2018 and had 3 courses in first term, 2 in second term, 3 in third term and now currently taking 3 in her final term. Overall she had to do 11 courses instead of 10 as she had to take an additional undergrad course for her to take Grad Stats course.. Your response will be appreciated.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I've seen a lot of people in this thread who have had 1 part time semester in between their studies, not their last term and still got approved.... I am just assuming that if you have like only one part time term in your whole degree they still consider, what would you say...?

Like for a Masters program at UOttawa, they always write full time even if you have 2 courses or 3 courses. Generally 3 courses is considered for full time studies on a graduate level..... just asking for a cousin, thanks.

She started in Sept 2018 and had 3 courses in first term, 2 in second term, 3 in third term and now currently taking 3 in her final term. Overall she had to do 11 courses instead of 10 as she had to take an additional undergrad course for her to take Grad Stats course.. Your response will be appreciated.
Whether a student is full-time or not is decided by the school, not IRCC.

The only part-time exception is the last semester. People who had other part-time semesters but got PGWPs got lucky.

Reactions: Hassan7601

tankarla

Star Member
Aug 26, 2019

Generally approval of PGWP, inspite of in between part time terms , have been given only when they have written an explanation and provided documentation for the same. People have got away with 2 part time terms with proper explanation ( you can search this forum for the threads ) .

Students have got away with apologising for small illegal work after graduating by giving their version of circumstances.

What is most important is the explanation to be filed along with the application .

Obviously the Visa officer is not expected to know ones circumstances without an explanation.

Even for 2 one year course it is always better to explain as to why you are eligible for 3 years PGWP.

The more we aid the Visa officer with explanation the easier it is for the officer to take a reasonable view. In case an error of judgement has been made it is always better to apologise and hope for the best.

Reactions: Hassan7601

Hassan7601

Jul 5, 2019
Whether a student is full-time or not is decided by the school, not IRCC.

The only part-time exception is the last semester. People who had other part-time semesters but got PGWPs got lucky.
Thank you for your response, if that's the case, then on each of my enrollment letter for each semester, it shows Full Time student.

Last edited:

Hassan7601

Jul 5, 2019
Generally approval of PGWP, inspite of in between part time terms , have been given only when they have written an explanation and provided documentation for the same. People have got away with 2 part time terms with proper explanation ( you can search this forum for the threads ) .

Students have got away with apologising for small illegal work after graduating by giving their version of circumstances.

What is most important is the explanation to be filed along with the application .

Obviously the Visa officer is not expected to know ones circumstances without an explanation.

Even for 2 one year course it is always better to explain as to why you are eligible for 3 years PGWP.

The more we aid the Visa officer with explanation the easier it is for the officer to take a reasonable view. In case an error of judgement has been made it is always better to apologise and hope for the best.

Thank you for the detailed explanation, the best explanation that be attached is the transcript, which clearly indicates that each of the semester was full time.

Hassan7601

Jul 5, 2019
You have to remain a full-time student throughout the semester not just enrolment.

Yes, the semester in which I was enrolled in 3 courses for initially and dropped one mid way. Was still considered full time by university as I received a scholarship the term after as well which was contingent on me being full time throughout...