+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Hepatitis C discovered after canadian visa grant letter received

Luckyman

Sep 18, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It is not certain that Alberta Health care is covered from time of arrival....the coverage will be back dated if you apply and qualify, however, you will be back charged if you obtain services and do not qualify for Alberta Heath upon arrival. Immigration to Alberta clearly states that those that arrive in Alberta from foreign countries "May" be eligible upon arrival...

Note that no doctor will refuse entry to their office, but you still have to apply within 3 months of immigrating.

Having said that, that is only for Doctor visits.....so in the end the solution is clear, get treatment before coming, you have time and are together.

tuyen

Oct 19, 2012
Tronna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scorpion_ca said:
What is the basis of your following opinion?

As to if a significant change in health BEFORE you get the COPR needs to be reported to the CIC and if it could then affect your application, others will need to advise.
He wasn't stating his opinion. He said, "others will need to advise" about it.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
scorpion_ca said:
What is the basis of your following opinion?

Copied from passport request letter that the applicant needs to inform for the following circumstances. I didn't find anything health related.

Canada's immigration law requires that you continue to meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act throughout the immigration process up to and including the date you arrive in Canada. This means you are required to inform this office, in writing, of any of the following circumstances.

- A change in your marital status
- A change in your family size
- A criminal charge or conviction for you or any member of your family
- Death of your sponsor
It was based on this CIC doc: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/enf/enf04-eng.pdf

Section 12.2 (Basically the landing interview)

12.2. Examination of foreign nationals with permanent resident visas
When an applicant in possession of a permanent resident visa applies to become a permanent
resident at a port of entry, the role of the BSO at Immigration Secondary is to:
• verify the person's identity;
• confirm that the information on the permanent resident visa is correct;
establish that the applicant complies with all requirements of the Act and Regulations and is
not inadmissible
;
• confirm that the applicant's marital, common-law, or family status has not changed since the
issuance of the permanent resident visa;
• confirm that the applicant and their family members (whether accompanying or not) still meet
the requirements of the class of permanent residents under which the permanent resident
visa was issued;
• impose and explain any appropriate conditions; and
• welcome the new permanent resident to Canada and provide information about programs and
services available to facilitate integration into Canadian society.

The Regulations require that foreign nationals in possession of a permanent resident visa who
are presenting themselves for permanent residence advise an officer:

• if their marital status has changed since the visa was issued, as required by R51(a)(i); and
of any other facts relevant to the issuance of the visa that have changed since the visa was
issued
, or that the foreign national failed to disclose at the time the permanent resident visa
was issued, as required by R51(a)(ii).
If the BSO at Immigration Secondary establishes that the foreign national is inadmissible and that
a change in the relevant facts is evident, the BSO may prepare a report under A44(1). For more
information on report writing, refer to ENF 5, Writing section 44(1) Reports.

The whole point of doing a medical exam is to identify people who may pose a threat to the health of other Canadians, or present a significant drain on the health care system. Such people may be declared inadmissible or need follow-up medicals tracked after landing. So taken to an extreme... say a COPR recipient develops a very serious illness (like HIV or TB) after they already did their medicals and were approved. If they declared this during the landing interview would it cause any problems? I am wondering if after the newly landed PR goes to the hospital the first day they're eligible for healthcare, if the govt will start asking questions on when and where the illness developed, and if serious (again open to interpretation) why it was not communicated in advance.

It seems to me there are several gray areas open to interpretation as to what needs to be disclosed, hence why i am interested what people with more knowledge of the health aspects of immigration would advise. Would be a financial nightmare to arrive in Canada expecting healthcare for your condition, only to find out you're ineligible.

Steph C

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 30 2012
Doc's Request.
N/A
File Transfer...
Sep 27 2012
Med's Request
April 15 2013 (re-med)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
March 18 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 22 2013
LANDED..........
June 6 2013
It doesn't really seem fair to show up in Canada with an undeclared previous illness and expect the system to pay for it. I think you should ask your conscience.. but I really hope you will feel better soon.

bagelbagel81

Jun 13, 2012
Sydney
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11th Jul 2012
AOR Received.
25th Sep 2012
File Transfer...
25th Sep 2012
Med's Done....
2nd Jul 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
17th Jan 2013
VISA ISSUED...
22nd Jan 2013
LANDED..........
6th June 2013!
Steph C said:
It doesn't really seem fair to show up in Canada with an undeclared previous illness and expect the system to pay for it. I think you should ask your conscience.. but I really hope you will feel better soon.
Ditto.

CIC2013

Dec 23, 2012
Dn't worry, as evrything is allmost done for your visa, If you really love your wife, don't wait back h ome, bring her with you, she will get health care as soon as you reach in Canada, most case less done 3 months, depending which province you decide to land.

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
Start treatment immediately and then land/settle in Alberta initially and then move if necessary.

Alberta covers new immigrants from day 1 (that's how it should be everywhere).

tuyen

Oct 19, 2012
Tronna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canvis2006 said:
Alberta covers new immigrants from day 1 (that's how it should be everywhere).
Why is that how it should be? The fact that Alberta covers new immigrants from day one is an oddity in Canada.

I'm a Canadian citizen, not living in Alberta. If I decide to move to Alberta tomorrow, even I will have to wait 3 months to get health care coverage there.

wolanila

Jun 8, 2011
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tuyen said:
Why is that how it should be? The fact that Alberta covers new immigrants from day one is an oddity in Canada.

I'm a Canadian citizen, not living in Alberta. If I decide to move to Alberta tomorrow, even I will have to wait 3 months to get health care coverage there.
It is not an oddity other provinces do this as well. Here is a link that lists the provinces and also give some info on the extent of coverage.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/free-medcare-for-landed-pr-immigrantsfsw-t36412.0.html;msg238215#msg238215

I also agree that it should be from day one also, as a Canadian citizen if you move to Alberta from another province it is true that you will have to wait for 3 months but I believe you are also still covered by your previous province for healthcare where as new immigrants may not be covered by there Country.

tuyen

Oct 19, 2012
Tronna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
wolanila said:
It is not an oddity other provinces do this as well. Here is a link that lists the provinces and also give some info on the extent of coverage.
I should've been more precise in my wording. Alberta offering immediate health care coverage for new immigrants is an oddity out of any of the provinces where people actually live.

The provinces that don't offer immediate coverage (Ontario, Quebec, and B.C.) make up 75% of the country's population. So the fact that Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland offer instant coverage is like a guy in the desert offering you free sand.

wolanila

Jun 8, 2011
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tuyen said:
I should've been more precise in my wording. Alberta offering immediate health care coverage for new immigrants is an oddity out of any of the provinces where people actually live.

The provinces that don't offer immediate coverage (Ontario, Quebec, and B.C.) make up 75% of the country's population. So the fact that Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland offer instant coverage is like a guy in the desert offering you free sand.
you forgot Saskatchewan, Manitoba, and Nova Scotia.. :p

ontarioo

Jan 7, 2011
I'm sorry about your spouse's illness however the "wait until we get in Canada/let Canada deal with it" attitude that some people display is why it gets harder and harder for the rest of us to sponsor our spouses to come live with us in Canada. As far as the public is concerned people like this are just out to "dump" their problems on Canada and take advantage of the system here.