+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Hepatitis C discovered after canadian visa grant letter received

khurramja

Dec 17, 2012
Dear all,

I am new to the group. I ,with my family , have received Canadian visa grant letters and have sent our passports for visa stamping which we should be receiving in 15-20 days time. During this time we have discovered that she is having Hepatitis C virus, although the medicals are cleared already as I told our passports are sent for stamping.

I need to know should we get her vaccinated from my home country which will take almost 6 months time and then take her to Canada or should I take her along to Canada and get her treated there?

We will have 8-10 months time to enter Canada after we receive our passports.

Suggestions are appreciated!

MRS SAM

Champion Member
Jul 1, 2012
Visa Office......
London via Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13 aug 12
Doc's Request.
02-01-2015
AOR Received.
22 oct 12
File Transfer...
25 oct 12
Med's Request
re medical 4 Dec 14
Med's Done....
12 Dec 14
Passport Req..
15-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
24-06-2015
LANDED..........
05-07-2015
khurramja said:
Dear all,

I am new to the group. I ,with my family , have received Canadian visa grant letters and have sent our passports for visa stamping which we should be receiving in 15-20 days time. During this time we have discovered that she is having Hepatitis C virus, although the medicals are cleared already as I told our passports are sent for stamping.

I need to know should we get her vaccinated from my home country which will take almost 6 months time and then take her to Canada or should I take her along to Canada and get her treated there?

u will get health card after 3 month in mojority of states..so if ur ready to pay all bill then get treated her in canada..otherwise from ur home country b

susanaplacador

Star Member
Jul 21, 2011
MRS SAM said:
u will get health card after 3 month in mojority of states..so if ur ready to pay all bill then get treated her in canada..otherwise from ur home country b
is it done during the medical at the embassy?

khurramja

Dec 17, 2012
MRS SAM said:
Do I have to pay all expenses for her treatment even after I get the health card? How much would it cost me for a 6 months' vaccination, if you know?

Thanks btw for ans.

tuyen

Oct 19, 2012
Tronna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
khurramja said:
I'm not even sure why there's any debate going on in your mind about what to do. Are you aware of the seriousness of that disease? If you have the opportunity to start treatment, you should've done so on the same day the diagnosis was made. If your doctor didn't stress the importance of starting treatment immediately, then he/she is an idiot.

There's no reason why you can't start treatment where you are, and then continue it in Canada if you receive your visa before you can finish it there.

TiranYas

Dec 13, 2012
I telling you right now, depend on the type of the hep c (Chronic/1/etc)
The treatment takes 6-10 month and its very very intensive + a lot of times it will look
like its gone during the treatment and can come back after .
It's a really expensive one (1000-2000$ a week!) so you better either treat it as soon as possible back home
or try to see what is the blue-cross eligibility and qualification.
How old is she/he? How long she have it?

Creampop

Jun 15, 2012
Waterloo ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo closed > Ottawa > Finalized in LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 23rd, 2012
Doc's Request.
RPRF-September 14th, 2012
File Transfer...
7/23/12 > Ottawa 10/9/12 > LA
Med's Done....
April 10th, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
October 9th, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
CoPR issued Oct. 29, 2012 DM November 6th, 2012
LANDED..........
November 23rd, 2012
tuyen said:
I'm not even sure why there's any debate going on in your mind about what to do. Are you aware of the seriousness of that disease? If you have the opportunity to start treatment, you should've done so on the same day the diagnosis was made. If your doctor didn't stress the importance of starting treatment immediately, then he/she is an idiot.

There's no reason why you can't start treatment where you are, and then continue it in Canada if you receive your visa before you can finish it there.
We don't agree on much but this I do agree with, and perfectly said.

TiranYas said:
I telling you right now, depend on the type of the hep c (Chronic/1/etc)
The treatment takes 6-10 month and its very very intensive + a lot of times it will look
like its gone during the treatment and can come back after .
It's a really expensive one (1000-2000$ a week!) so you better either treat it as soon as possible back home
or try to see what is the blue-cross eligibility and qualification.
How old is she/he? How long she have it?
Yes it does take a long time to treat and travel insurance companies are not going to cover the treatments because it is a pre-existing condition. Now if you have private insurance now that has travel insurance included with it and she was covered by it before finding out about the Hep C then it should cover it. She obviously didn't have it when she had the medical exam because the CIC would have made her start treatments right away and probably would have had the whole family tested again. My son had TB and they made me be tested for it of course I already had been but it had to be through their doctor. whatever you try to pull together you should really start getting her the treatments right away HER health is what should be most important!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
khurramja said:
Do I have to pay all expenses for her treatment even after I get the health card? How much would it cost me for a 6 months' vaccination, if you know?

Thanks btw for ans.
Which province will you be landing in? Some like Ontario you have to wait 3 months before healthcare, while in others like Alberta you get healthcare immediately. It might be in your best interest to invetigate landing and living in a province like Alberta to start your new life here... as i imagine 3 months of treatment will be VERY expensive.

As to if a significant change in health BEFORE you get the COPR needs to be reported to the CIC and if it could then affect your application, others will need to advise.

Danny4450

Champion Member
Mar 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
ISLAMABAD - Wife case
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22 Dec 2010
File Transfer...
27 Jan 2011
Med's Request
Re-medical April 23rd, 2012
Med's Done....
April 24th, 2012
Interview........
Exempt
Passport Req..
April 23rd, 2012 - PP sent on May 1st, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
June 1st, 2012 .. Alhumdulillah .. Total time = 17 months and 8 days
LANDED..........
Jun 17th, 2012 .. Alhumdulillah :)
khurramja said:
Dear all,

Get the treatment in your home country. Health comes first before anything. You will have to wait 3 months for your healthcard in Ontario which can further complicate things for your family if the condition gets worse.

khurramja

Dec 17, 2012
tuyen said:

That's my concern! If I can start her treatment here, would there be any problem continuing it in Canada? Because we got to know about this after medical was done, that means she didn't have it during medicals. So would CHC ask for more documents before they allows us to travel or we can just travel and continue treatment?

khurramja

Dec 17, 2012
Rob_TO said:
Which province will you be landing in? Some like Ontario you have to wait 3 months before healthcare, while in others like Alberta you get healthcare immediately. It might be in your best interest to invetigate landing and living in a province like Alberta to start your new life here... as i imagine 3 months of treatment will be VERY expensive.

As to if a significant change in health BEFORE you get the COPR needs to be reported to the CIC and if it could then affect your application, others will need to advise.
We will be landing in and settling down in Alberta. So if we get the health card straight away we can start the treatment? How much would it cost after getting the health card?

You also advised that we should inform CIC about the situation, would it not complicate things? As they might ask all of us to get tested and send reports. This will make a mess of it and delay things?

Sorry, I'm just confused .

Ja_Sy

Sep 23, 2012
khurramja said:
That's my concern! If I can start her treatment here, would there be any problem continuing it in Canada? Because we got to know about this after medical was done, that means she didn't have it during medicals. So would CHC ask for more documents before they allows us to travel or we can just travel and continue treatment?
Doesnt mean that she did not have it yet during medical exams.. They only test HIV and syphilis on blood.. the Hepa test is not mandatory unless you have tattoos, been on surgery before or have a blood transfusions.. If she is a chronic healthy carrier ( means she have it a long time ago, the virus lives in her blood but asleep and not able to transfer it to others) then there is no need to panic. Go to her gastroenterologist, seek medical opinion. Better undergo series of lab test.. Hepatitis profile etc etc.. Only lab test and the doctor would know if she need urgent medical attention or not.

I am not good in english.. hope my little knowledge gives you an idea. God Bless!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
khurramja said:
We will be landing in and settling down in Alberta. So if we get the health card straight away we can start the treatment? How much would it cost after getting the health card?
Basic treatment would be free in Alberta after landing and getting healthcare.

However as others have mentioned, a serious condition should start treatment IMMEDIATELY in your home country. By not doing this and delaying by months until you land, you are endangering her health and long term recovery.

You also advised that we should inform CIC about the situation, would it not complicate things? As they might ask all of us to get tested and send reports. This will make a mess of it and delay things?
No i am not advising that... i am asking others to advise if this is needed. The last thing you want is to land in Canada, and then have your healthcare refused if they say you should have disclosed the illness prior to landing or getting your COPR.

Luckyman

Sep 18, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Get it treated before coming here, your both together, and have the time to do so. While basic health care service is provided (it is NOT free), prescriptions and primary medication for treatment will not be covered under Alberta Health care, and basic service is accompanied by a monthly premium.

You will have many headaches if you wait to start treatment here....and that included increasing risk.

stevelo

Star Member
Apr 7, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Seeing the doctor is covered but drugs wouldn't be. Further, factor in the risk to health plus additional cost for having to treat a potentially worse infection a few months down the road.

Also you risk your own health by delaying your spouse's treatment, especially if you are financially capable to get medical help now (and I don't mean getting infected with Hep C though that would be a possibility)