+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Hemophilia reason for PR rejection. Is there a way?

Jamesaus

May 20, 2021
Hi all.
We are a family of 4 from Iran. We have 2 kids aged 9 and 6. My son has sever hemophilia type A and has to inject FACTOR 8 three days a week.
3 yeas ago we applied for permenant resident visa to canada via investment program and we spent so much money and time waiting all these years to be accepted. We were all qualified and even we paid the landing fee to Canada's government but when we did the medical tests,a letter came to us telling that my 9 year old son's medication costs cause excessive demands on Canada's social service. The IRCC officer had estimated the costs to be 537000 CAD/year . Our lawyer in Canada responded to their procedural fairness letter indicating by proved documents that the costs would be between 40000 to 95000 CAD which was well bellow the 537000 CAD that IRCC had estimated. Four months later,we recieved a letter from the officer telling us that we were rejected.
We are all hopeless now.
Our lawyer is going to file a notice to the court for leave and judicial review.
According to humanitarian and compassionate considerations, do you think we have any chance?
Have you found the price of Hemlibra for your son? This is a new preventative medication for Hemophilia A. We are in Australia and the price may be different there, but it may be an alternative to look into.

This is a new medication that replaces the regular factor 8 treatment for children and adults.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Have you found the price of Hemlibra for your son? This is a new preventative medication for Hemophilia A. We are in Australia and the price may be different there, but it may be an alternative to look into.

This is a new medication that replaces the regular factor 8 treatment for children and adults.
Hemlibra is unfortunately not accessible / available in Canada at this time. Sadly the Quebec government has recently made a recommendation not to fund it for reasons that are a bit beyond me (the bleeding community and medical professionals are arguing against this recommendation). The verdict on the rest of Canada is still TBD in the last newsletter I read. I follow this stuff since I have a factor VIII deficiency myself, although not the kind that would make me a candidate for Hemlibra.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Don’t think that would change refusal. If available it will be at significant cost.

immig_IT_guy

Jan 5, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-06-2014
Doc's Request.
Sent with Application
Nomination.....
16-10-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
File Transfer...
Not Sure
Med's Request
23-12-2014
Med's Done....
03-01-2015, FBI PCC submitted on 03-04-2015
Passport Req..
07-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
06-10-2015
LANDED..........
17-12-2015
please let us know if you made some progress.

Sourish26

Apr 18, 2022
Dear team I also applying for Canadian PR from India.but after reading all this staff about hemophilia I am really scared what to happens with my proceeding as my 3 yrs old son is a severe hemophilia A. He is under the treatment of Hemlibra in India which cost me around 4lakhs a year. Can any one tell me what I need to do..should I proceed further or not.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Dear team I also applying for Canadian PR from India.but after reading all this staff about hemophilia I am really scared what to happens with my proceeding as my 3 yrs old son is a severe hemophilia A. He is under the treatment of Hemlibra in India which cost me around 4lakhs a year. Can any one tell me what I need to do..should I proceed further or not.
Research the costs of Hemlibra in Canada. Unfortunately it doesn't matter what it costs in India. What matters is how much this treatment costs in Canada. To the best of my knowledge, this treatment costs the Canadian health care system well over $20,000 per year which unfortunately means your application could be refused due to excessive demand. You can still try applying. However be prepared for the possibility that you'll run into issues and may or may not be successful. Good luck.

HemoMom

Apr 23, 2022
I am also planning to apply for PR. My 7 yo son is having Severe hemophilia B. Even though he has severe factor deficiency he is less symptomatic. He takes medicine once a year only. How can I calculate my son's treatment cost at Canada?. Our consultant told us that there is only 50/50 chance for us to get PR. equally worried. Please update if there is any progress in any application.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am also planning to apply for PR. My 7 yo son is having Severe hemophilia B. Even though he has severe factor deficiency he is less symptomatic. He takes medicine once a year only. How can I calculate my son's treatment cost at Canada?. Our consultant told us that there is only 50/50 chance for us to get PR. equally worried. Please update if there is any progress in any application.
Should give you the approximate cost. Although he is not currently requiring a lot of treatment whether he is anticipated to require more treatment as he ages will be a factor.

https://www.formulary.health.gov.on.ca/formulary/

Reactions: HemoMom

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Between access to therapy and cost you may be better staying in India.

HemoMom

Apr 23, 2022
Should give you the approximate cost. Although he is not currently requiring a lot of treatment whether he is anticipated to require more treatment as he ages will be a factor.

https://www.formulary.health.gov.on.ca/formulary/
Thanks much for the response. But the quoted site does not have our drug listed. Meanwhile I tried to find the estimated cost from the site below,

https://www.cihi.ca/en/patient-cost-estimator

from the given data set (2015-2019),an average total estimated cost of $15500 is reflected per year(hospital cost + physician cost, rounded off figure). Still i am not sure whether the price of the drug is included in the particular calculation.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks much for the response. But the quoted site does not have our drug listed. Meanwhile I tried to find the estimated cost from the site below,

https://www.cihi.ca/en/patient-cost-estimator

from the given data set (2015-2019),an average total estimated cost of $15500 is reflected per year(hospital cost + physician cost, rounded off figure). Still i am not sure whether the price of the drug is included in the particular calculation.
That would usually mean the drug is not covered by ODB in Ontario a,though the site is a bit glitchy.

Last edited: