+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help - Worker -> Student

lee.lee

Sep 23, 2019
Good morning,

I am so confused. Someone could help me, please? My case is as follows: I had a work visa (which would expire in December) but I asked for a study visa for this fall. It was approved but the answer came very late and the college deferral me for January.

Can anyone tell me what I can do until Winter 2020 - when classes start?

I have been asking the consultant but he has told me that I can study English or keep working (because of my previous visa). But I believe I can no longer work until classes begin.

canada2023

Sep 21, 2019
your work permit still valid not canceled by getting the study permit.
by the way could you please share the time line for your application for study permit ?

Reactions: lee.lee

lee.lee

Sep 23, 2019
your work permit still valid not canceled by getting the study permit.
by the way could you please share the time line for your application for study permit ?
Even if the new study permit is saying it is already valid?

My application - 65 days

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
I dont think student permit is compatible with work permit, but you should probably talk to a professional. Students cant work full time only part time once studies begin.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
You can work as long as your current work permit is valid. Once it expires, you can no longer work - you will then be allowed to work under the terms of the study permit (full time student, 20 hours a week, etc) once you start attending school.

If your work permit expires before your study permit starts, you will be out of status. You should apply to switch to visitor status to cover that time period.

lee.lee

Sep 23, 2019
You can work as long as your current work permit is valid. Once it expires, you can no longer work - you will then be allowed to work under the terms of the study permit (full time student, 20 hours a week, etc) once you start attending school.

If your work permit expires before your study permit starts, you will be out of status. You should apply to switch to visitor status to cover that time period.
Thank you for clarified me! They updated my ETA. Can I stay with ETA Or leave the country and then come back with Eta? Or I must apply for a visitor visa?

Thanks!!

lee.lee

Sep 23, 2019
Thank you for clarified me! They updated my ETA. Can I stay with ETA Or leave the country and then come back with Eta? Or I must apply for a visitor visa?

Thanks!!

Thank you for clarifying me! They updated my ETA. Can I stay with ETA Or leave the country and then come back with Eta? Or I must apply for a visitor visa?

Thanks!!