+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help with open work permit

sykonet

May 2, 2020
Hi

I’m in Canada at the moment. I arrived here like 6 days ago. It’s my first time on Canada after being married. So I’m gonna my sponsorship application and all that. I’m staying almost 5 months. The border officer told me I can stay 6 months less a day. I actually got plane tickets to stay 5 months and 28 days. I’m here on eTa.

So I need to get some documents for my sponsorship application at the consulate here but they gave me an appointment for December 11th. Which is really far from now. My main goal right now is to get an open work permit since sponsorship application takes longer. So I found online that I can apply for an OWP if I’m a temporary resident here for 6 months or more. Does that work for me? If not...what should I do so I can get the proper things to apply for the OWP right now?

I know I can send an open work permit application together with my sponsorship application but I have to wait too long for that. I have some job offers already but I can’t work (of course) without the permit. If anyone can help me with this I’ll be really thankful.

I’m living with my wife right now but I’m still working on getting proof of that. I tried getting a phone plan or my own bank account but since I need a SIN I can’t. Next thing we will try will be to be added to my wife’s bank account so we can have a joint account. But still, we tried doing it online but we couldn’t and we have to wait till our quarantine is over so we can actually go to the bank.

Please someone help me! Thank youu

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi

I’m in Canada at the moment. I arrived here like 6 days ago. It’s my first time on Canada after being married. So I’m gonna my sponsorship application and all that. I’m staying almost 5 months. The border officer told me I can stay 6 months less a day. I actually got plane tickets to stay 5 months and 28 days. I’m here on eTa.

So I need to get some documents for my sponsorship application at the consulate here but they gave me an appointment for December 11th. Which is really far from now. My main goal right now is to get an open work permit since sponsorship application takes longer. So I found online that I can apply for an OWP if I’m a temporary resident here for 6 months or more. Does that work for me? If not...what should I do so I can get the proper things to apply for the OWP right now?

I know I can send an open work permit application together with my sponsorship application but I have to wait too long for that. I have some job offers already but I can’t work (of course) without the permit. If anyone can help me with this I’ll be really thankful.

I’m living with my wife right now but I’m still working on getting proof of that. I tried getting a phone plan or my own bank account but since I need a SIN I can’t. Next thing we will try will be to be added to my wife’s bank account so we can have a joint account. But still, we tried doing it online but we couldn’t and we have to wait till our quarantine is over so we can actually go to the bank.

Please someone help me! Thank youu
The only OWP you qualify for is the one with your spousal sponosrship. The waut time to get OWP with your spousal sponsorship is much longer at the moment so anticipate 6+ months after you submit your application.

sykonet

May 2, 2020
The only OWP you qualify for is the one with your spousal sponosrship. The waut time to get OWP with your spousal sponsorship is much longer at the moment so anticipate 6+ months after you submit your application.
Is there any way I can qualify for the: “you have a temporary resident permit that is valid for six months or more”

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Is there any way I can qualify for the: “you have a temporary resident permit that is valid for six months or more”
Not sure where you are seeing this but OWP are only available in very limited circumstances. Most people who have a temporary resident permit do not qualify for an OWP. The only way you qualify is with an inland sponsorship application.

sykonet

May 2, 2020
Not sure where you are seeing this but OWP are only available in very limited circumstances. Most people who have a temporary resident permit do not qualify for an OWP. The only way you qualify is with an inland sponsorship application.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/permit/temporary/eligibility.html

in the list you can see the el options.

yes I’m chilean, I’m a tattoo artist and many shops are offering me to work with them, but since I don’t have an OWP I’m not taking them.
Also if I don’t get s work permit or my PR before I have to leave...is it possible I can leave and come back couple days later? My wife lives here in Canada and we hate that we have to travel back and forth all the time. I was planning if I don’t get any permit approved by the time I leave, I was gonna leave and come back as soon as possible. I read there’s no real “rule” about how long I have to stay out of Canada before coming back (of course I’ll have to explain to the border officer) but, since my wife lives here....is that enough reason to be allowed back in another 6 months?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/permit/temporary/eligibility.html

in the list you can see the el options.

yes I’m chilean, I’m a tattoo artist and many shops are offering me to work with them, but since I don’t have an OWP I’m not taking them.
Also if I don’t get s work permit or my PR before I have to leave...is it possible I can leave and come back couple days later? My wife lives here in Canada and we hate that we have to travel back and forth all the time. I was planning if I don’t get any permit approved by the time I leave, I was gonna leave and come back as soon as possible. I read there’s no real “rule” about how long I have to stay out of Canada before coming back (of course I’ll have to explain to the border officer) but, since my wife lives here....is that enough reason to be allowed back in another 6 months?
That just says you qualify to apply for a WP while inside Canada. You still need to meet the requirements for the specific WP. You can apply for an extension of your work permit online. It would be best for you to indicate that you have started the sponsorship process and include the receipt. You should not leave and try to return. There is a higher chance of being denied. Having a spouse in Canada doesn’t guarantee entry because you are not a temporary visitor, you want to live in Canada.

Would not be a good idea to work illegally. It’s unfortunate that you didn’t look into this earlier but the only way you will qualify for an OWP is with the sponsorship application and it is going to be quite a while before you qualify to work.

sykonet

May 2, 2020
That just says you qualify to apply for a WP while inside Canada. You still need to meet the requirements for the specific WP. You can apply for an extension of your work permit online. It would be best for you to indicate that you have started the sponsorship process and include the receipt. You should not leave and try to return. There is a higher chance of being denied. Having a spouse in Canada doesn’t guarantee entry because you are not a temporary visitor, you want to live in Canada.

Would not be a good idea to work illegally. It’s unfortunate that you didn’t look into this earlier but the only way you will qualify for an OWP is with the sponsorship application and it is going to be quite a while before you qualify to work.

Oh well I see:/ I wish it was easier for artists to get a job haha
well we looked into it before, but we wanted to apply to the inland application, so we were gonna try to get everything here but the more I look into it, the more difficult it gets; since I can’t get s SIN, I can’t work, and I’ll have to leave.
I guess that’s a good thing, I could extend my visa and send the receipt showing that we are applying to the sponsorship inland, I didn’t think of that.
if I extend my visa, do you know if I can stay another 6 months? Or only 3?
it’s just a pain that, even to get my chilean specific documents, I need to wait for 3 months. After that we can just send the sponsorship application (as long as I have all the other documents till then)

is there any other way I can get documents showing that I’m living here? It’s just for everything they ask for a SIN and it makes it impossible. How do most people get papers proving that they are living here if you can’t really get anything? (Bank account, credit card, phone plan, etc)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Oh well I see:/ I wish it was easier for artists to get a job haha
well we looked into it before, but we wanted to apply to the inland application, so we were gonna try to get everything here but the more I look into it, the more difficult it gets; since I can’t get s SIN, I can’t work, and I’ll have to leave.
I guess that’s a good thing, I could extend my visa and send the receipt showing that we are applying to the sponsorship inland, I didn’t think of that.
if I extend my visa, do you know if I can stay another 6 months? Or only 3?
it’s just a pain that, even to get my chilean specific documents, I need to wait for 3 months. After that we can just send the sponsorship application (as long as I have all the other documents till then)

is there any other way I can get documents showing that I’m living here? It’s just for everything they ask for a SIN and it makes it impossible. How do most people get papers proving that they are living here if you can’t really get anything? (Bank account, credit card, phone plan, etc)
Yes you should get an extension for 6 months as long as you and your spouse have the funds to survive without you working. I have heard some banks allow you to open accounts as a FN. Would try to see if your wife can co-sign if necessary but yes it is difficult to do many things without a SIN.

sykonet

May 2, 2020
Yes you should get an extension for 6 months as long as you and your spouse have the funds to survive without you working. I have heard some banks allow you to open accounts as a FN. Would try to see if your wife can co-sign if necessary but yes it is difficult to do many things without a SIN.
Oh okay, I see!

I guess we will just wait for our quarantine to be over and then go to see if we can do any of that with my wife as a co-signer
thanks for your help.

sykonet

May 2, 2020
Oh okay, I see!

I guess we will just wait for our quarantine to be over and then go to see if we can do any of that with my wife as a co-signer
thanks for your help.
Oh I have one more question.

I know I can’t work here, but is it possible to manage my own business?
I sell art online and get money out of it, like on instagram and some craft websites. Is it possible I can still work on my art business and sell it online, or ship things from here and get money from that?
just wanna make sure everything I’m doing is legal

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Oh okay, I see!

thanks for your help.
Would call around to different banks and try to ask to speak to a manager if you are denied opening an account. Somehow people are able to do it but most have had to fight to open an account. When it comes to cell phones and credit cards there are good reasons for needing a SIN unless you have your own phone and are buying data and minutes only. Unfortunately even with SINs there are many who return home with new cell phones and an existing contract or a credit card with a balance.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Oh I have one more question.

I know I can’t work here, but is it possible to manage my own business?
I sell art online and get money out of it, like on instagram and some craft websites. Is it possible I can still work on my art business and sell it online, or ship things from here and get money from that?
just wanna make sure everything I’m doing is legal
Only if there are no clients, customers or links to Canada. It would be quite tricky because Instagram or Etsy have Canadian connections.

sykonet

May 2, 2020
Would call around to different banks and try to ask to speak to a manager if you are denied opening an account. Somehow people are able to do it but most have had to fight to open an account. When it comes to cell phones and credit cards there are good reasons for needing a SIN unless you have your own phone and are buying data and minutes only. Unfortunately even with SINs there are many who return home with new cell phones and an existing contract or a credit card with a balance.
Oh okay. Well we will be trying that. Yes I have my own phone already so I hope with a co-signer won’t be too much trouble

sykonet

May 2, 2020
Only if there are no clients, customers or links to Canada. It would be quite tricky because Instagram or Etsy have Canadian connections.
oh that makes it even more difficult. Most of my buyers are canadian (many from friends or family). I wish this wasn’t so hard