+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help with NOC code

hohokami

Oct 6, 2020
Hi,

I've been employed for a number of years as an Assistant Editor (TV Broadcasting) for Post-Production companies. This seems to fall into a few NOC codes, mainly:

----

5225 – Audio and video recording technicians
  • Postproduction Technician
5227 – Support occupations in motion pictures, broadcasting, photography and the performing arts
  • Audiovisual (AV) assistant
  • Audiovisual (AV) assistant - motion pictures and broadcasting
  • Technical assistant - audiovisual
----

From previous posts, I understand that the listed Main Duties are more important then the job title, but my issue with this is that both these NOC codes are incredibly vague and encompass a very wide variety of roles.

For instance, 5227 lists 60+ titles: from Lighting Assistant, Wardrobe Attentants, to Stage Hands and Focus pullers (all completely different roles) ... but then the Main Duties list things completely irrelevant to these roles - instead focusing on just a select few examples of support occupations.

https://noc.esdc.gc.ca/Structure/NocProfile/0117dfbea5354124a7c4e7b1b7ec9d5a?objectid=UnDyDV1gumNeUvK78I2FwrRKvonHPCOZ5lWAEAo4p/YoQoa9YIOBIp6LMALlLzkD

Any help on how to go about accessing which category I fall under would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
From previous posts, I understand that the listed Main Duties are more important then the job title, but my issue with this is that both these NOC codes are incredibly vague and encompass a very wide variety of roles.

For instance, 5227 lists 60+ titles: from Lighting Assistant, Wardrobe Attentants, to Stage Hands and Focus pullers (all completely different roles) ... but then the Main Duties list things completely irrelevant to these roles - instead focusing on just a select few examples of support occupations.
If you know the important thing is main duties, then I don't see why the 60+ titles are relevant.

hohokami

Oct 6, 2020
Why even mention 'Wardrobe Attendant', for instance, if main duties is only talking about camera operators, projectionists and set builders?

It's like having a single NOC number with an index of titles for Surgeons, Carpenters and Plumber... and then have a list of main duties describing Chef work.

It's relevant.