+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help with NOC code selection (2141 or 2233)

anandg12

Jun 26, 2015
Hello, I am new to the forum and excited to be part of the community. I have a question regarding NOC code selection and performing essential job duties. I was a Quality Engineer at a manufacturing facility and I saw that Quality Control Engineer is under NOC code 2141 for Industrial & Manufacturing Engineer. I am not sure if I am performing all of the essential duties for this NOC though especially the ones in the beginning.

There is another NOC code 2233 for Quality Control Technologist that may work better but I am confused as to which one to select. I might be overqualified for this position though according to educational requirements.

I am listing the job duties of both occupation/NOC below with my answers if I have performed the duties Can someone can guide me in selecting the appropriate NOC code, I will really appreciate it. :)

The following are the job duties listed on the HRSDC website for NOC 2141:

Plan and design plant layouts and facilities - Yes
Study new machinery and facilities and recommend or select efficient combinations - Yes
Develop flexible or integrated manufacturing systems and procedures - No
Conduct studies and implement programs to determine optimum inventory levels for production and to allow optimum utilization of machinery, materials and resources - Yes
Analyze costs of production - No
Design, develop and conduct time studies and work simplification programs - Yes
Determine human resource and skill requirements and develop training programs - Yes
Develop performance standards, evaluation systems and wage and incentive programs - Yes
Conduct studies of the reliability and performance of plant facilities and production or administrative systems - Yes
Develop maintenance standards, schedules and programs - Yes
Establish programs and conduct studies to enhance industrial health and safety or to identify and correct fire and other hazards - Yes
Evaluate or assess industrial facilities - Yes
Supervise technicians, technologists, analysts, administrative staff and other engineers. - Yes

The following are the job duties listed on the HRSDC website for NOC 2233:

Develop and conduct production, inventory and quality assurance programs in manufacturing or in other industries - Yes
Design plant layouts and production facilities - Yes
Develop and carry out work study and related programs - Yes
Develop and carry out industrial health, safety and fire prevention plans and programs and conduct safety training programs- Yes
Develop applications using CAD/CAM (computer-assisted drafting, computer-assisted manufacturing) for the control of robots, computer numerical control (CNC) machines and other manufacturing processes and operations. - No
Collect and compile operational or experimental data and assist in the development of estimates, schedules, specifications and reports - Yes
Collect and analyze data and samples in support of quality assurance and industrial health and safety programs - Yes
Develop manufacturing and processing procedures and variables, set machine or equipment controls, oversee production and inspect processes. - No

anandg12

Jun 26, 2015
Anybody? Please help. Also can someone please answer the following questions:

-Do I need reference letters for work experience that I am not claiming points for? Are paystubs and tax return sufficient in this case?

-Will CIC reject an application if there is a NOC mismatch or simply not grant points for that NOC (assuming that is not my primary NOC)?

-Can I be overqualified for an NOC if my education is above the requirements of that NOC?

SnakePlissken

Star Member
Apr 26, 2014
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
Feb-10-2018
AOR Received.
Mar-20-2018
Hi Anandg12

Answer to your original query:
The best NOC to be selected is the one that matches or closely relates to your qualification. If you know for sure that you are over qualified for a certain NOC, chances are probably that is not your NOC. Also there is no need for all the stated job duties to exactly match what you have done in that job position as these are generally just broad guidelines set by CIC for the various duties considered to be carried out by people who belongs to that NOC.

Answer to your second reply:
-If Not claiming points for a certain work experience- No references or other documents like paystubs needed
-CIC will only reject your application if your stated job responsibilities and duties are way off from the NOC that you mentioned
- Yes, you will be overqualified for a NOC if your education is above the requirement of that NOC. So as I said in my reply to your first query, select a NOC that closely relates to your qualification.

anandg12

Jun 26, 2015
Thank you, SnakePlissken. One last question, is there any distinction between essential & main duties for a NOC occupation? I have heard one must perform all of the essential duties and a majority of the main duties to be eligible to apply under that NOC. Is this true?

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
anandg12 said:
Thank you, SnakePlissken. One last question, is there any distinction between essential & main duties for a NOC occupation? I have heard one must perform all of the essential duties and a majority of the main duties to be eligible to apply under that NOC. Is this true?
Where did you get this classification of Essential Duties from? NOC lists Main Duties and you'll benefit if you've performed most of them in your job and if they correspond to your roles & responsibilities. http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/NOC/2011/QuickSearch.aspx?val65=2141

sam_172452

Jun 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SnakePlissken said:
Hi Anandg12

The best NOC to be selected is the one that matches or closely relates to your qualification. If you know for sure that you are over qualified for a certain NOC, chances are probably that is not your NOC. Also there is no need for all the stated job duties to exactly match what you have done in that job position as these are generally just broad guidelines set by CIC for the various duties considered to be carried out by people who belongs to that NOC.

-If Not claiming points for a certain work experience- No references or other documents like paystubs needed
-CIC will only reject your application if your stated job responsibilities and duties are way off from the NOC that you mentioned
- Yes, you will be overqualified for a NOC if your education is above the requirement of that NOC. So as I said in my reply to your first query, select a NOC that closely relates to your qualification.
Are you certain you can be overqualified for an NOC? I was under the impression that a person should choose the NOC that has the best match between the lead statement of the NOC and his actual job duties.

A lot of people especially in Europe are working jobs that may not be related to their qualifications due to the tough job market nowadays.

Asivad, your thoughts on this?

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sam_172452 said:
Are you certain you can be overqualified for an NOC? I was under the impression that a person should choose the NOC that has the best match between the lead statement of the NOC and his actual job duties.

A lot of people especially in Europe are working jobs that may not be related to their qualifications due to the tough job market nowadays.

Asivad, your thoughts on this?
Overqualified in the limited sense of NOC main duties being a very small subset of your entire Universe of roles & responsibilities makes sense. In that case, you are probably choosing a NOC A instead of a more relevant NOC 0.

Overqualified in the sense of education doesn't matter. CIC doesn't really care if you majored in Finance and have been into Software testing for 10 years since then.

May 19, 2015
chennai
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
Hi, As per CIC, 2141 means he must have an engineering graduate. But for 2233 grade, he can have 3 years Diploma is sufficient.

Don't compare with 21** with 22** grade.

Kannan duggal

Jan 21, 2018
Hi Anandg12

Hi snake plisken

I have same query, actually i graduated as mechanical engineering technologist and i am working as quality engineer right now. I am under dilemma that which noc code noc 2141 or noc code 2233 would work best for me. I am under qualified under noc 2141 as per educational requirements but i am qualified under 2233 as i am technologist. So do you think 2233 is the right code for me, please reply me asap.

josematt18

Feb 14, 2018
India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
04-10-2018
AOR Received.
04-10-2018
Med's Done....
02-11-2018
Passport Req..
19-06-2019
VISA ISSUED...
04-07-2019
LANDED..........
25-07-2019

johnDSA

Aug 3, 2021
Hi snake plisken

I have same query, actually i graduated as mechanical engineering technologist and i am working as quality engineer right now. I am under dilemma that which noc code noc 2141 or noc code 2233 would work best for me. I am under qualified under noc 2141 as per educational requirements but i am qualified under 2233 as i am technologist. So do you think 2233 is the right code for me, please reply me asap.
Hi Kannan, Which code did you select ?.. I too have same problem BE Mech ( 4yrs) working in Quality field ( construction projects). confused which one to select.