+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help with Nafta work permit

Trq

May 2, 2012
Hi, Im an American citizen and got a job offer in Canada for a year that starts beginning of June, and it qualifies for nafta status, whats the best way to apply, at the border crossing or the consulate visa office (NYC), do they process the nafta application faster than the regular ones or will it take the 30+ days processing time posted on there website?

wideopenspaces

Star Member
Jul 20, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As a US citizen you can apply for your work permit and obtain it immediately at the point of entry. You can read more here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/special-business.asp

And make sure you have all the proper documentation when you arrive. There should be more info within that link.

Congrats!! I was hoping to get there via NAFTA since my occupation qualifies. That didn't work out but I did finally find an employer willing to apply for an LMO and it all worked out.

tinytortoise

Star Member
Feb 7, 2012
Houston, Texas
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-01-2013
AOR Received.
06-02-2013
Med's Done....
09-10-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
22-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
23-08-2013
Is there a different application for NAFTA? That webpage doesn't say much about the process.

WXPERMIT

Nov 3, 2011
NAFTA is easy. Just drove to the border of your choosing and tell the guard in the booth you want to apply for a work permit. He/She will then take some information down from you, hand you a yellow slip of paper and advise you to go inside to the building for processing. The only paperwork you need is your passport, your employment letter, job duties, college diploma and 150CA or 150US cash for the work permit. You do not need to fill out any paperwork listed on the cic website for a work permit. If you're married or have kids, bring your marriage cert and entry documents for your family. Your family members will receive a FREE visitor pass.