+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help with IELTS Writing

baxa1981

May 29, 2012
Hi. On Listening, 5.5 bands on my first attempt was not the real reflection of my ability. I missed 2-4 answers in a row and got demotivated altogether and ended up with a mediocre score. But as you said, I put up efforts to score 8 in my third attempt and made additional efforts to secure a minimum of 8.0 again in the final attempt. I was equipped enough and coincidentally the sections weren't that difficult that I didn't remember making any mistakes which translated into 39 or 40 right, meaning 9.0.

On Speaking, i received 6.5 bands in my first attempt. This score resembled my failed attempt in trying to use difficult words appropriately, a couple of memorized connotations easily noticeable, short of thoughts to fully speak throughout 2 minutes of section 2, exhibiting a unique accent, etc which all didn't go well to convince the examiner to score 7. I realised it as soon as I completed the exam. On the second attempt, attitude is to not to impress the examiner, no fake accent, be slow and fluent while speaking, no usage of super powerful words, completion of 2 minutes in Section 2, etc. Just focused only on these points and secured 7.0. I decided I need to consistently keep this formula and splash the performance level throughout in the future appearances, no trying new experiments. Third attempt it worked even effectively and in final attempt it was a cake walk.

On Reading, I did struggle a bit to secure 7.0 and it only happened in third attempt. For the 4th attempt, I exhausted almost all materials then. I began to fear on consistency if I don't practice enough. I managed to get only 3 full tests and the result was satisfactory but not great. So before the exam I was like fingers crossed. Gladly I could pull the string even in the last attempt.

Thanks guys.
Thanks so much. I feel like I am in the same boat, although I am still waiting for the results of my 1st attempt.

I feel I totally blew writing by writing too much for task 1 and not having enough time for task 2. For speaking, I think I spoke too fast as I was a bit nervous. Plus, I have not fully taken 2 minutes on section 2.

sdqs_23

Star Member
Apr 19, 2017
Guys, I have appeared thrice and failed in GT Writing to score 7 and finally on the fourth time I managed 7 bands. I will tell you guys about my experience and what I'd done between these attempts to reach the destination.

My first attempt: I went to the exam thinking I am good at English and felt very positive about writing an impromptu essay. I didn't bother to even check model essays and many other varieties of essays that may be a potential question in Task 2. In task 1, I didn't even think about preparing any as i was under an opinion that I always write emails at work and that touch could help in this section. Conclusively, I ended up scoring 6.5 bands in Writing.
Overall Performance L/R/W/S - 5.5/6.5/6.5/6.5

My second attempt: I realised that I under-estimated the process and began to concentrate on finding out how many varieties of essays with prescribed format, approach. I also investigated on what should an Introduction meant to have, body paragraphs need to talk about what, how to conclude by linking both the paragraphs with introduction.I felt I am now good to know about the format of the exam and likely to crack it this time. Got 6.0 bands in Writing. Later after exam I realised discussing with fellow candidates that I didn't touch upon all aspects of Task 2 and task response is affected, hence 6.0.
Overall Performance L/R/W/S - 7/6.5/6/7

My third attempt: Now I knew my mistakes from the previous attempts helped me to research a lot more about what examiners are looking for. Focussed more on approaches to each type of essay. Began to build more complex sentences with effective vocabulary. Again I read a post from from one of the successful candidates who claimed to have said that one needs to write atleast one task 2 essay each day for a month to achieve 7.0 bands in the exam. Having all tricks known to crack, I wanted to follow this method but only managed about 10 essays in the last month before the exam. Due to lack of touch in Writing, I managed 6.5 again in my third attempt. I was pretty sure that I lacked thoughts and transformation of thoughts into words took long to transfer into the paper.
Overall Performance L/R/W/S - 8/7/6.5/7. This time I seriously felt if I had cracked Writing I would have managed CLB9 overall.

My final attempt: Now the pressure mounted on me to keep the other abilities tuned to secure the same scores as previous and provide special attention to Writing. I made sure I wrote about 20-30 essays in less than a month to build confidence and fluency. I always wrote essays to which I got model answers to compare the ideas and thoughts. To an extent it helped in better understanding of how the thoughts are formulated and spread across in the essay. This time it clicked.
Overall Performace L/R/W/S - 9/7/7/7.

Guys hardwork and perseverance pays!! Good luck all !!

So how did u practice for Writing and Speaking any drill

fatehelps

Star Member
Apr 19, 2015
So how did u practice for Writing and Speaking any drill
Speaking - Just one advise I would give. Concentrate to complete 2 full minutes in section 2. That's more important.
I followed a habit of recording my speech and then listen to it. Try and redo the same if unsatisfactory. This helps to build confidence and moreover you'll find where you need more focus.

Writing - It is an extremely difficult part of IELTS. Section 2 needs more focus.
Complex sentences, appropriate usage of punctuation, academic phrases, linking devices, decent vocabulary are the key to success. Please do look at how marking is done and write accordingly.

Good luck !!

Shaheen1980

Star Member
Feb 2, 2018
Speaking - Just one advise I would give. Concentrate to complete 2 full minutes in section 2. That's more important.
I followed a habit of recording my speech and then listen to it. Try and redo the same if unsatisfactory. This helps to build confidence and moreover you'll find where you need more focus.

Writing - It is an extremely difficult part of IELTS. Section 2 needs more focus.
Complex sentences, appropriate usage of punctuation, academic phrases, linking devices, decent vocabulary are the key to success. Please do look at how marking is done and write accordingly.

Good luck !!
Did you get your writing assessed by a professional?You write too good.I got 6.5 in writing in first attempt even though I consider my self a poor writer.I feel so desperate sometimes that it seems I may never be able to obtain a 7 in writing.