+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help with an RTD application

Anonyref

May 3, 2020
Hello! Hope everyone is doing well :D

I just received my COPR for permanent residency and had a RTD before receiving PR status. As it is expiring soon and I do want to travel around next year Id like to apply for a new rtd. Here are three questions I have stumbled across:

1) can the RTD be sent to an address of a friend when receiving it? Canada post is a bit iffy with the delivery in my current address and I would love to have a friend of mine's address so I can received it without going there.

2) Is it possible to apply for RTD by just using the COPR? I have read online that it is indeed possible but the application form does not offer the chance to select for a COPR, but instead a PR card. I'm kind of conflicted as PR cards now take up to three months to be issued.

3) when applying in person, and during COVID19, is the office in Gatineau accepting in-person applicants. And if yes, is it still possible to pick up the RTD in person as well?

Your responses would be much appreciated! Thank you and all the best! :)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello! Hope everyone is doing well :D

I just received my COPR for permanent residency and had a RTD before receiving PR status. As it is expiring soon and I do want to travel around next year Id like to apply for a new rtd. Here are three questions I have stumbled across:

1) can the RTD be sent to an address of a friend when receiving it? Canada post is a bit iffy with the delivery in my current address and I would love to have a friend of mine's address so I can received it without going there.

2) Is it possible to apply for RTD by just using the COPR? I have read online that it is indeed possible but the application form does not offer the chance to select for a COPR, but instead a PR card. I'm kind of conflicted as PR cards now take up to three months to be issued.

3) when applying in person, and during COVID19, is the office in Gatineau accepting in-person applicants. And if yes, is it still possible to pick up the RTD in person as well?

Your responses would be much appreciated! Thank you and all the best! :)
You should really be using your own address on any application. You could ask if an RTD could be delivered to another address. You’ll need to contact the RTD office to see if the office is open. I am sure it will be open before you want to travel next year. You may want to give the office a few weeks to slowly get organized since this isn’t a rush job.

Reactions: Anonyref

Anonyref

May 3, 2020
You should really be using your own address on any application. You could ask if an RTD could be delivered to another address. You’ll need to contact the RTD office to see if the office is open. I am sure it will be open before you want to travel next year. You may want to give the office a few weeks to slowly get organized since this isn’t a rush job.
Thank you for your reply!

Yes, I am going to call them sometime this week to find out what is the current situation and if it is possible to have it delivered on a different address. Otherwise I will just go in person. :D

One more thing: in the CIC website there is a page mentioning that the confirmation of permanent residence is okay when applying for an RTD, however in the application form the only option available is the PR card. Do you perhaps know if I can apply using the COPR? My pr card is not here yet unfortunately, and I do expect it to be delayed for another couple months. Thank you in advance :D