+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help!! Will student permit be invalid when I leave Canada for over 6 months?

H.Steven

Feb 3, 2016
Hi,

I am accepted to a program for 2016 winter term at a college. However, because of some reasons, I need to go back to my country and will be coming back at the end of this year. Thus, I withdrew the program and did another application for another program at the same school. I got accepted and have a letter of acceptance from the school, but I haven't paid tuition for the program I'm going to study. I would pay the tuition and register the new program in my country before coming back to Canada.

Also, I don't know if my student permit is following the new regulations or the old one (before June 1st, 2014). I applied for my permit before June 1st, 2014 and my student permit was in force when I first came to Canada in Aug, 2014. However, I amended my student permit last year and got an amended student permit in Jan, 2016. It seems that my permit follows the new regulations, right?

Here are my questions. In this case, will my student permit be invalid or canceled? I know the following regulations after June 1st, 2014 on CIC website: "A study permit becomes invalid 90 days following the completion of studies unless the foreign national also possesses a valid work permit or another authorization to remain in Canada." Otherwise, I have to renew a new study permit? Or, it's called Restoration of Status?

Forgetting to mention, my student permit will expire in July, 2017

I don't know how to solve this problem. Thanks in advance to you all.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Your study permit will fall under the new regulations. If you drop out of school for more than 90 days, it will be automatically canceled. You'll need to apply for a new study permit once you are ready to return.

yesplease

Dec 30, 2013
Karachi
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-06-2015
Doc's Request.
N/A
IELTS Request
Waived
File Transfer...
12-06-2015
Med's Request
25-07-2015
Med's Done....
29-07-2015
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
with application
VISA ISSUED...
11-08-2015
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
If i leave current uni on 31 april and transfer for next uni which starts sept 2016. Will this be invalid or m fine as m changing univ

H.Steven

Feb 3, 2016
scylla said:
Your study permit will fall under the new regulations. If you drop out of school for more than 90 days, it will be automatically canceled. You'll need to apply for a new study permit once you are ready to return.

Thank you for your replying.

CIC website just mentions this 90-days regulation for students who complete their programs, but is it correct for us to understand that student permit would be invalid if students don't enroll into programs over 90 days? Is there any exception? After I review this regulation and your reply, it reminds me a different scenario.

In my case, after finishing ESL program last Aug, I returned to my country for 2 months like I said before and came back at the end of October. Also, I didn't take any courses after arriving Canada and was waiting for my program (the original one) from last Nov to Dec. Of course, I paid the tuition and had a confirmation of enrollment before leaving Canada, which means I did the whole registration process.

So, let's do some math. It is over 120 days, and my student permit was supposed to be invalid when I started my program this Jan. Why didn't the customs refuse me to enter Canada as a student? Of course, they asked me what I would do in next 2 months, something like that.

This is my guess. When I came to Canada, it was just over 60 days. So, at that time, the permit was still valid in accordance with the regulation.
In addition, I showed them my strong intention to study at the school with my acceptance letter, payment receipt and confirmation of enrollment.

I'm still confused about it.........

Thank you, anyway!! ;)

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

H.Steven said:
Thank you for your replying.

CIC website just mentions this 90-days regulation for students who complete their programs, but is it correct for us to understand that student permit would be invalid if students don't enroll into programs over 90 days? Is there any exception? After I review this regulation and your reply, it reminds me a different scenario.

In my case, after finishing ESL program last Aug, I returned to my country for 2 months like I said before and came back at the end of October. Also, I didn't take any courses after arriving Canada and was waiting for my program (the original one) from last Nov to Dec. Of course, I paid the tuition and had a confirmation of enrollment before leaving Canada, which means I did the whole registration process.

So, let's do some math. It is over 120 days, and my student permit was supposed to be invalid when I started my program this Jan. Why didn't the customs refuse me to enter Canada as a student? Of course, they asked me what I would do in next 2 months, something like that.

This is my guess. When I came to Canada, it was just over 60 days. So, at that time, the permit was still valid in accordance with the regulation.
In addition, I showed them my strong intention to study at the school with my acceptance letter, payment receipt and confirmation of enrollment.

I'm still confused about it.........

Thank you, anyway!! ;)

1. You come under new rules.
2. In the first case, it was a 'confirmation of enrollment' that worked in your favor. And, going off for 2 months isn't a big deal.
3. In the current situation, first you dropped the program and now planning to take another course at the end of 2016, and for that purpose you only have a letter of acceptance (not confirmation of enrollment and registration). And, post June 2014, institutions must provide students academic status (even those who got visa before June 2014) to CIC. And, CIC can only update your information on your UCI system. IO at POE will have easy access to your UCI and is authorized to take decision on spot.

To monitor compliance, Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) is developing a compliance reporting portal through which designated learning institutions at the post-secondary level will provide the academic status of their international students to CIC (e.g., full-time, academic suspension, no longer enrolled)

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/students/verification.asp

4. I am wondering who told you that you can prove your strong intention to be a student just by paying tuition or have some admission? What about your active participation in school, continuous enrollment, registration and progress towards the completion of course? Your profile shows that you are not a genuine student with intention to actively pursue the course and make continuous progress.

H.Steven

Feb 3, 2016
J5M said:
Hi,
1. You come under new rules.
2. In the first case, it was a 'confirmation of enrollment' that worked in your favor. And, going off for 2 months isn't a big deal.
3. In the current situation, first you dropped the program and now planning to take another course at the end of 2016, and for that purpose you only have a letter of acceptance (not confirmation of enrollment and registration). And, post June 2014, institutions must provide students academic status (even those who got visa before June 2014) to CIC. And, CIC can only update your information on your UCI system. IO at POE will have easy access to your UCI and is authorized to take decision on spot.

To monitor compliance, Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) is developing a compliance reporting portal through which designated learning institutions at the post-secondary level will provide the academic status of their international students to CIC (e.g., full-time, academic suspension, no longer enrolled)

4. I am wondering who told you that you can prove your strong intention to be a student just by paying tuition or have some admission? What about your active participation in school, continuous enrollment, registration and progress towards the completion of course? Your profile shows that you are not a genuine student with intention to actively pursue the course and make continuous progress.
Sorry, I can't get you. what do you mean of my profile? Which one? the one of this account? And I cannot understand the progress towards the completion of course. I showed my acceptance letter, payment receipt and confirmation of enrollment to them. Isn't it enough to show my strong intention to study? Or, what type of docs do I need to prepare? If you mean education experience in Canada, I only complete ESL program before getting into regular programs.

Thanks again!! :-*

Basmah Abdo

Sep 4, 2016
Hello,

I am facing the same problem right now, could you please let me know what happened with you?
Were you able to re-enter Canada?

Thank you so much