+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help!will break up with my common law partner affect my citizenship application?

abc3896

Star Member
Apr 1, 2011
Hi everyone. My common law partner sponsored me to become a PR 2.5years ago. But we broke up 6 months after I became PR. Will this affect my citizenship application? And is my marital status "never married"?

FL1040

Dec 30, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
abc3896 said:
Hi everyone. My common law partner sponsored me to become a PR 2.5years ago. But we broke up 6 months after I became PR. Will this affect my citizenship application? And is my marital status "never married"?
It may sound fishy to CIC...your marital status remains the same, for you to be married you must have gone through a marriage ceremony officiated by a minister of religion or figure of civil authority, since this never happened, you don't have a marriage certificate and never divorced, per your story, then you have never been married

abc3896

Star Member
Apr 1, 2011
FL1040 said:
It may sound fishy to CIC...your marital status remains the same, for you to be married you must have gone through a marriage ceremony officiated by a minister of religion or figure of civil authority, since this never happened, you don't have a marriage certificate and never divorced, per your story, then you have never been married
thank you so much for your reply.may sound fishy?will this cause my case delayed or rejected then?