+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help!! We're NEW!

Cdnshaz

May 15, 2008
not necessarily, I know of a couple who were turned down due to an illness, he was/is better now, but they still said NO, said as he got older it would be a drain on the canadian health system..They of course are gutted...she is stuck in UK..

Tara_W

Apr 8, 2009
Leon said:
As a spouse being sponsored, he would be exempt from the "undue stress on Canada's healthcare" criteria so it would not be a problem.

Is that so? If that's the case, why did we spend close to €500 with the checkup, xrays, blood tests etc etc?!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Because he's still not exempt from the "danger to public health" clause. If he has a strain of drug resistant TB for example, it would be a problem.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op02-eng.pdf - page 17 said:
5.19. Medical requirements
Members of the family class are medically inadmissible if they or their family members are likely to
be a danger to public health or to public safety or if their admission might reasonably be expected
to cause excessive demands on health or social services [A38(1)]. See Exceptions to medical
inadmissibility, Section 5.20 below.
5.20. Exceptions to medical inadmissibility
A38(2)(a) states that spouses, common-law partners and dependent children who are members of
the family class are not inadmissible even if they have a medical condition that will result in
excessive demand
to health or social services.
Note that this goes for spouses and children being sponsored, not when a family is applying together for example under skilled worker class.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Cdnshaz said:
not necessarily, I know of a couple who were turned down due to an illness, he was/is better now, but they still said NO, said as he got older it would be a drain on the canadian health system..They of course are gutted...she is stuck in UK..
Maybe the rules have changed since then or maybe the IO made a mistake. Maybe they should get an immigration lawyer and apply again.

Cdnshaz

May 15, 2008
They appealed and lost

he has a heart condition, he had triple bypass when under the age of 40, even tho he passed the actual physical, and his GP said he was off all meds and healthy, they said no....as a heart condition will be a strain.

She was from Alberta I believe

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Cdnshaz said:
They appealed and lost

he has a heart condition, he had triple bypass when under the age of 40, even tho he passed the actual physical, and his GP said he was off all meds and healthy, they said no....as a heart condition will be a strain.

She was from Alberta I believe
Maybe the rules have changed since then. Maybe they should get an immigration lawyer and apply again. The manual is quite clear that spouses are not inadmissible even if they have a medical condition that will result in excessive demand to health care.