+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

HELP!? We are living in UK. DAD is CDN, Mom is French/US... What should baby be?

rambotron

Nov 2, 2010
Hi there, we are a young couple living in London, UK. My wife is French citizen, I have EEA permit, UK residency. My wife (we were married in US in 2008) will have our first born in May-ish. We'd like to immediately return to visit (the only) grandparent in Vancouver. SO we need a passport for the bundle of joy. BUT... if we go Canadian for baby's citizenship -- how do they return to live permanently in the UK; or do we go French thru mom's passport (even though she's not born in France[?]), or does the little one automatically qualify for UK citizenship? Any advice or help would be appreciated.
Thanks all,
cg

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

rambotron said:
Hi there, we are a young couple living in London, UK. My wife is French citizen, I have EEA permit, UK residency. My wife (we were married in US in 2008) will have our first born in May-ish. We'd like to immediately return to visit (the only) grandparent in Vancouver. SO we need a passport for the bundle of joy. BUT... if we go Canadian for baby's citizenship -- how do they return to live permanently in the UK; or do we go French thru mom's passport (even though she's not born in France[?]), or does the little one automatically qualify for UK citizenship? Any advice or help would be appreciated.
Thanks all,
cg
Probably can claim all 3, definitely the UK and Canadian, you would have to check with the French though. So you can apply for proof of Citizenship for Canada and a passport and apply for a UK passport.

yyzstudent

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2015
Thanks all,
cg
Lucky. That child is lucky. He’s probably a citizen of all three, if not at least 2. If only 2 I’d go French and Canadian. French will give the child access to all of EU.

CDN1234

Jun 25, 2019
Assuming:
1. Dad is a Canadian citizen by birth or naturalization, hence not subject to the second generation limit. The child is a Canadian citizen by descent
2. Mom is a French citizen, so the child is a French citizen by descent
3. Unsure what you mean by mom is French/US. If you're saying the mother is also a US citizen through naturalization and was physically in the US for more than 5 years, then the child is a US citizen by descent.
4. Neither the dad or the mom is a UK citizen or has the permanent resident status equivalent (ILR), the child is not a UK citizen until at least one of the parents becomes a UK citizen or receives an ILR status.

At this point, assuming the above, the child should be entitled to the following passports: Canada, France and/or US, and may be entitled to UK if a parent has a British citizenship or PR status equivalent. See: https://www.gov.uk/apply-citizenship-born-uk