canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,

I have small question on OHIP card. We plan to land in Toronto mid Feb this year by that time my wife will be 5th month pregnant. Understand one of the document to apply OHIP card is residency proof like lease agreement or bank statement. Initially we would be staying with relative so the only option available for us is the bank statement. My question is it will take some time to receive the first month bank statement and only then we can submit the application for OHIP card. So the 3 months waiting time will start from our date of landing in Toronto or from the date we submit the application ?
Hi

The 3 months starts from the date you land, so it doesn't matter if it takes you a month to get proof of address.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Hi,

I have small question on OHIP card. We plan to land in Toronto mid Feb this year by that time my wife will be 5th month pregnant. Understand one of the document to apply OHIP card is residency proof like lease agreement or bank statement. Initially we would be staying with relative so the only option available for us is the bank statement. My question is it will take some time to receive the first month bank statement and only then we can submit the application for OHIP card. So the 3 months waiting time will start from our date of landing in Toronto or from the date we submit the application ?
See this list for the accepted "Proof of residency in Ontario" you are allowed to use: https://www.ontario.ca/page/documents-needed-get-health-card

As mentioned above, day 1 of your waiting period will be the date you arrive in Ontario. This can be proven with COPR if you're doing first PR landing, or airplane ticket if you're a returning PR. So there is zero rush to apply for OHIP urgently, you can take your time. Even if you apply right after the 3 months wait, you'll get an OHIP number immediately on the spot that you can use. You must apply for OHIP in person at a Service Ontario office.

You should be aware of the risk you're taking by landing at more than 5 months pregnant. In case of an early delivery or any other complications later in pregnancy, you will need to pay for all doctor/hospital costs out of pocket. You should at least ensure your wife has travel emergency medical insurance, which won't cover any regular pregnancy or delivery related costs but may help if any emergencies happen during pregnancy.

Also make sure you are intending to stay in Ontario for at least 6 months with no plans to leave during this time for more than 30 days.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
See this list for the accepted "Proof of residency in Ontario" you are allowed to use: https://www.ontario.ca/page/documents-needed-get-health-card

As mentioned above, day 1 of your waiting period will be the date you arrive in Ontario. This can be proven with COPR if you're doing first PR landing, or airplane ticket if you're a returning PR. So there is zero rush to apply for OHIP urgently, you can take your time. Even if you apply right after the 3 months wait, you'll get an OHIP number immediately on the spot that you can use. You must apply for OHIP in person at a Service Ontario office.

You should be aware of the risk you're taking by landing at more than 5 months pregnant. In case of an early delivery or any other complications later in pregnancy, you will need to pay for all doctor/hospital costs out of pocket. You should at least ensure your wife has travel emergency medical insurance, which won't cover any regular pregnancy or delivery related costs but may help if any emergencies happen during pregnancy.

Also make sure you are intending to stay in Ontario for at least 6 months with no plans to leave during this time for more than 30 days.
Unfortunately I think any pregnancy related expense will not be covered by health insurance policies.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Unfortunately I think any pregnancy related expense will not be covered by health insurance policies.
Actually as long as the pregnancy is stable when applying, most travel emergency insurance plans will cover emergencies/complications (not routine or regular check-ups or tests) up to a certain time frame of the pregnancy (typically 8-9 weeks before the expected delivery date). After the date has passed and delivery date gets closer, then no more coverage for any pregnancy related issues would be allowed.

Captaincool

Apr 3, 2019
Quick question. I have been in ontario since 2010 under study permit, post grad work permit. Now i recently got PR and landed End March. I have not left ontario since 2015. So if i apply for OHIP now will i have to wait for 3 months as well?
Hi,
Did you have to wait for another 3?months after landing to get the OHIP? Or did they consider your pre PR stay?

Thanks in advance!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,
Did you have to wait for another 3?months after landing to get the OHIP? Or did they consider your pre PR stay?

Thanks in advance!
Yes in this situation you’d have to wait 3 months. Once you qualify there is a 3 month waiting period plus you have to meet OHIP residency rules.