+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

[HELP] Visitor Visa while waiting for Spousal Open Work Permit

ronitsharma

Star Member
Sep 4, 2017
Hello All,

I am on an open work permit here in Canada, working since the beginning of this year. I have applied for my wife's Spousal Open work permit (From India)

Applied on: 3rd June 2021
Biometrics Update on: 26th July 2021
Gave upfront medical in August first week just to expedite the process -> Not showing on mycic yet.
No update since then.

I know that the processing times for Spousal Open work permit have increase and it might take some time.

But my question is:

Is there a possibility that my wife now applies for a Visitor Visa (as family reunification)? I saw the news that they are processing new visitor visa applications made after 7th September faster. I just wanted to make sure whether this would not have any affect on her current application for SOPW and is it worth applying for a visitor visa - so that she can come here and stay with me until the SOPW is approved?

Any feedback/guidance is much appreciated.

Thank you!

AlbertaExpress

Star Member
Feb 20, 2020
Hello All,

I am on an open work permit here in Canada, working since the beginning of this year. I have applied for my wife's Spousal Open work permit (From India)

Gave upfront medical in August first week just to expedite the process -> Not showing on mycic yet.
No update since then.

I know that the processing times for Spousal Open work permit have increase and it might take some time.

But my question is:

Is there a possibility that my wife now applies for a Visitor Visa (as family reunification)? I saw the news that they are processing new visitor visa applications made after 7th September faster. I just wanted to make sure whether this would not have any affect on her current application for SOPW and is it worth applying for a visitor visa - so that she can come here and stay with me until the SOPW is approved?

Thank you!
I am thinking that the family reunion applies to PR not TR.

Kumar25

Jun 19, 2021
I am thinking that the family reunion applies to PR not TR.
Hi there,

According to IRCC website

"We recommend that you submit a new online application if
  • you submitted your visitor visa application before September 7, 2021; and
  • your situation has changed; and
  • you’re travelling for one of the following reasons:
    • to be reunited with an immediate family member who is a Canadian citizen, a person registered under Canada’s Indian Act or a permanent resident of Canada
    • to be reunited with an immediate family member who is in Canada temporarily"
So I guess that he can apply right?

Feb 10, 2021
Hi there,

According to IRCC website

"We recommend that you submit a new online application if
  • you submitted your visitor visa application before September 7, 2021; and
  • your situation has changed; and
  • you’re travelling for one of the following reasons:
    • to be reunited with an immediate family member who is a Canadian citizen, a person registered under Canada’s Indian Act or a permanent resident of Canada
    • to be reunited with an immediate family member who is in Canada temporarily"
So I guess that he can apply right?
Hi,
I have a similar situation. Did you apply for visitor visa?

moohhoom

Mar 15, 2019
they will
Hello All,

No update since then.

But my question is:

Thank you!
they will just reject the visit visa for the below reasons:
  1. based on her family ties in Canada and in her country of residence.
  2. based on her travel history.
but try you have nothing to lose while waiting.. and yes nothing can be done except waiting...

Atifm058

May 18, 2019
Hello All,

No update since then.

But my question is:

Thank you!
Did you get the chance to apply for the visit visa and will applying the visit visa in any way affect the Spousal work permit application response will be highly appreciated