+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help! Totally stuck with this

Addzz120

Star Member
Feb 28, 2019
I'm in Canada now studying and my 2 year program runs in the following semesters spring 2021, fall 2021, then spring 2022, fall 2022.

Right now the winter term starts (Dec to May) which would be a break period for me.

However I chose to book 2 courses (out of the usual 5) in the break period to lighten the load to 3 course when spring 2022 term starts again.

3 courses is considered by the college as full time, so i would technically be part-time in the break period by taking 2 courses. However is this relevant, as ordinarily i would be taking 0 courses in the break, therefore this would not affect my visa and make me a part timer? As I'll always be full time in the 'official semesters;

arhue

Star Member
Aug 17, 2020
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
You cannot be part time in any semester other than your last.

I would either take the break fully or take atleast 3 courses.

Reactions: Abdullahi98

Addzz120

Star Member
Feb 28, 2019
But it's not an official semester as I'd normally be doing 0 courses right..?
If I did 1, 2 or 3 then I'd still be part time next semester.

NavjotS123

Jul 6, 2019
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
I'm in Canada now studying and my 2 year program runs in the following semesters spring 2021, fall 2021, then spring 2022, fall 2022.

Right now the winter term starts (Dec to May) which would be a break period for me.

However I chose to book 2 courses (out of the usual 5) in the break period to lighten the load to 3 course when spring 2022 term starts again.

3 courses is considered by the college as full time, so i would technically be part-time in the break period by taking 2 courses. However is this relevant, as ordinarily i would be taking 0 courses in the break, therefore this would not affect my visa and make me a part timer? As I'll always be full time in the 'official semesters;
man why would you take such a chance i wonder

Addzz120

Star Member
Feb 28, 2019
man why would you take such a chance i wonder
To make more time to work which pays for the program.

For anyone needing help on this I got he answer from an immigration advisor.

You have to check what course load it is considered full time by your college/university.
If you maintain full time status in your official semesters and still graduate by the normal end date of your course it's fine.
If you take courses that speed up your graduation so you graduate earlier you may not get the 3 year PGWP if you finish in less than 2 years.