+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help: Spouse Open Work Permit from Inside or Outside Canada

stat7

Oct 23, 2013
Hi,

I'm an International student with a study permit in Canada. I'm going to be married in May in India and want to bring my spouse in September, ideally with an open work permit (which she is eligible for due to my study permit). She needs to stay in India from June to August for family reasons. I have the following options -

1. Is it best to directly apply for her open work permit from India as soon as we get married in May? While the website shows processing times are 2 months, people are saying it's taking up to six months these days.
2. I've heard that rejection rate is higher for work permits from India in which case she won't be able to get a TRV to come here as well. So should I apply only for her TRV in May and then once I get her TRV, I apply for her work permit from India? So that she can come in September regardless of the processing time and decision of her work permit?
3. Or should I apply for her TRV now as a tourist and bring her to Canada immediately after our marriage just for a week based on the TRV, apply for an open work permit in Canada and then she flies back to her family in India after a week. And then she comes to Canada in September on her TRV regardless of the open work permit processing time and decision?
4. The last option is to just apply for open work permit after she comes in September, but then it will take 3-4 months based on what I've heard. She wants to start working as soon as possible so applying for work permit in September will be late.

I'm confused and any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

stat7 said:
Hi,

I'm an International student with a study permit in Canada. I'm going to be married in May in India and want to bring my spouse in September, ideally with an open work permit (which she is eligible for due to my study permit). She needs to stay in India from June to August for family reasons. I have the following options -

1. Is it best to directly apply for her open work permit from India as soon as we get married in May? While the website shows processing times are 2 months, people are saying it's taking up to six months these days.
2. I've heard that rejection rate is higher for work permits from India in which case she won't be able to get a TRV to come here as well. So should I apply only for her TRV in May and then once I get her TRV, I apply for her work permit from India? So that she can come in September regardless of the processing time and decision of her work permit?
3. Or should I apply for her TRV now as a tourist and bring her to Canada immediately after our marriage just for a week based on the TRV, apply for an open work permit in Canada and then she flies back to her family in India after a week. And then she comes to Canada in September on her TRV regardless of the open work permit processing time and decision?
4. The last option is to just apply for open work permit after she comes in September, but then it will take 3-4 months based on what I've heard. She wants to start working as soon as possible so applying for work permit in September will be late.

I'm confused and any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

If you apply for OWP from your country, you do not need to apply for TRV separately. Both comes together. TRV or OWP both depends on the applicant profile (not much to do with your profile).