+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

[Help]Should I mention my overstay in US when I apply for a Canada tourist visa?

lechalet

Jan 29, 2012
For some personal reason,I had stayed in US for 8 months (overstayed 2 months) and went back to my own country in 2010.
Now I want to apply a Canada tourist visa. In the application form, it asks me if any country I've stayed for over 6 months.
I'm worried if Canadian know my overstay, they may think I want to stay there and refuse my application.
I need this visa badly to visit my boyfriend there.
If I don't mention the overstay, will Canadian officer know that from US? (I heard these two countries may share some database)

What should I do, please help!!

Many thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The general rule is never lie on applications. It has a nasty way of catching up with you.

Yes - you must mention that you were in the US for longer than six months. Yes - Canada and the US share a fair amount of records and there's definitely a possibility that Canada will find out even if you don't mention it.

If you don't mention it and Canada finds out, that is misrepresentation which is a two year ban from entering Canada.

lechalet

Jan 29, 2012
scylla said:
The general rule is never lie on applications. It has a nasty way of catching up with you.

Yes - you must mention that you were in the US for longer than six months. Yes - Canada and the US share a fair amount of records and there's definitely a possibility that Canada will find out even if you don't mention it.

If you don't mention it and Canada finds out, that is misrepresentation which is a two year ban from entering Canada.
Scylla, Thank you for your kind advice. I think I will write an explaination of my over stay and hope the Canadian officer is understanding.

user828

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi ( Parents Sponsorship )
App. Filed.......
19-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
When you fill out a Visa form, all it ask is where did you live for more than 6 months in last 5 years - thats all, there is no column for did you overstay so simply state your duration and thats it
Even if they ask, tell them the truth