+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

HELP - PMM ET AL - QUESTION ABOUT STUDY PERMIT APPLICATION RESPONSE WITH FILE#

foxxalo

Aug 21, 2011
I submitted my application for study permit to the Los Angeles Consulate in December via USPS priority mail.
They had made an attempt to deliver my mail on a Sunday when the visa office was closed and it stated that they wld try the next day when it was open, but no other confirmation after that.The post office did not scan it when they delivered it so it does not show it was delivered on their website.

I sent an email to the Canadian Consulate in Los Angeles with all my details including my passport number, full name and date of birth, about a week ago, and received this response(which seems like an automated machine response):

Dear Sir/Madam

Due to the high volume of applications we receive, please be advised Work / Study Permit Applications are taking longer than usual to process. Please note that applications which are more complex may take longer to process. Your file is in que to be reviewed by a visa officer.

Your file number for your reference is S*********

Regards,

Immigration Section / Département d'immigration

550 S. Hope Street, 9th Floor, Los Angeles, CA 90071 • FAX: (213) 625-7154

Email

My questions is, does this file number indicate that they received my documents and that is the number assigned to my application, or is it just a reference number for my email enquiry and they haven't even checked to see whether they have my documents?

Also once I receive this email with the file number does anyone know how long it may take to process the study permit thereafter?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

foxxalo said:
I submitted my application for study permit to the Los Angeles Consulate in December via USPS priority mail.
They had made an attempt to deliver my mail on a Sunday when the visa office was closed and it stated that they wld try the next day when it was open, but no other confirmation after that.The post office did not scan it when they delivered it so it does not show it was delivered on their website.

I sent an email to the Canadian Consulate in Los Angeles with all my details including my passport number, full name and date of birth, about a week ago, and received this response(which seems like an automated machine response):

Dear Sir/Madam

Due to the high volume of applications we receive, please be advised Work / Study Permit Applications are taking longer than usual to process. Please note that applications which are more complex may take longer to process. Your file is in que to be reviewed by a visa officer.

Your file number for your reference is S*********

Regards,

Immigration Section / Département d'immigration

550 S. Hope Street, 9th Floor, Los Angeles, CA 90071 • FAX: (213) 625-7154

Email

My questions is, does this file number indicate that they received my documents and that is the number assigned to my application, or is it just a reference number for my email enquiry and they haven't even checked to see whether they have my documents?

Also once I receive this email with the file number does anyone know how long it may take to process the study permit thereafter?
1. It is probably just a reference no.
2. The processing time for study permits at LA is 5 weeks on average.
3. They are not going to search for your application to see if they have it.

abdulaziz2012

Apr 20, 2012
foxxalo please could you tell me when you get your passport back?????
i am so warred when the will send me my passport , i have to enter canada before the end of may 2012.