+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help Plz: Data Scientist Noc code

summerxx

Jun 12, 2016
Hi guys,

I'm very confused about which Noc code to use. I was hired as a Statistician, which falls under "2161 Mathematicians, statisticians and actuaries" for sure (the job duties at that time clearly matched with Noc 2161). After a while, the company changed our tittles to Data Scientist and there are also some changes to our duties. Now HR can only provide updated job duties on my reference letter, which is about half "2161 Mathematicians, statisticians and actuaries" and half "2172 Database analysts and data administrators".
I'm having a difficult time choosing the right Noc code due to this title/duties change. Any suggestions please?

Thank you all!

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
summerxx said:
Hi guys,

I'm very confused about which Noc code to use. I was hired as a Statistician, which falls under "2161 Mathematicians, statisticians and actuaries" for sure (the job duties at that time clearly matched with Noc 2161). After a while, the company changed our tittles to Data Scientist and there are also some changes to our duties. Now HR can only provide updated job duties on my reference letter, which is about half "2161 Mathematicians, statisticians and actuaries" and half "2172 Database analysts and data administrators".
I'm having a difficult time choosing the right Noc code due to this title/duties change. Any suggestions please?

Thank you all!
While selecting the NOC, the duties and responsibilities mentioned in the NOC should be a close match with the actual duties and responsibilities carried out by you at the respective job. You need not match the duties and responsibilities word by word, but the idea is to have the closest match in terms of the spirit of the duties and responsibilities (at least 60%-70% match).

Also, NOC should be selected on the basis of the match of actual duties and responsibilities carried out by you rather than the designation match in the NOC list. If you are not sure of your NOC, write to noc@workingincanada.gc.ca with your job title, duties and responsibilities and educational qualification, they will help you find the closest fit.

summerxx

Jun 12, 2016
Stanlee said:
While selecting the NOC, the duties and responsibilities mentioned in the NOC should be a close match with the actual duties and responsibilities carried out by you at the respective job. You need not match the duties and responsibilities word by word, but the idea is to have the closest match in terms of the spirit of the duties and responsibilities (at least 60%-70% match).

Also, NOC should be selected on the basis of the match of actual duties and responsibilities carried out by you rather than the designation match in the NOC list. If you are not sure of your NOC, write to noc@workingincanada.gc.ca with your job title, duties and responsibilities and educational qualification, they will help you find the closest fit.
Thank you Stanlee. I'll email them for help.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
summerxx said:
"Data scientist" is sufficiently "new", that it's not surprising there is no good fit in the NOC classification system. At least both the NOCs are the same level (Level A).

Don't worry about the job title, IRCC will look at the lead statement and your duties/responsibilities, so chose the one that best fits.

If you're still in doubt, write a letter of explanation about how your job falls between the two NOCs. IRCC is obligated to consider the explanation, and has worked in the past for many whose jobs really do teter between two NOCs.

summerxx

Jun 12, 2016
jes_ON said:
"Data scientist" is sufficiently "new", that it's not surprising there is no good fit in the NOC classification system. At least both the NOCs are the same level (Level A).

Don't worry about the job title, IRCC will look at the lead statement and your duties/responsibilities, so chose the one that best fits.

If you're still in doubt, write a letter of explanation about how your job falls between the two NOCs. IRCC is obligated to consider the explanation, and has worked in the past for many whose jobs really do teter between two NOCs.
Thank you for your input!

What I'm actually doing falls under Statistician. I guess my struggle comes from that HR could only provide very generic job duties/responsibilities on the employment reference letter, which falls between two NOCs. I think I will provide a copy of my H1b petition letter as additional explanation/evidence which is more detailed and matches NOC Statistician. Hopefully IRCC office considers both the reference letter and the explanation.

Jan 29, 2018
Hi guys,

Thank you all!
What NOC you used. if 2161, please shed some light

clayera

Star Member
Jan 8, 2016
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
EE Inland
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
08-22-2017
LANDED..........
05/2018
I also used 2161 all throughout my PR process, my job title is in Data Analytics, and job duties explicitly mentioned modeling, forecasting, visualization, data analysis, segmentation and other keywords that are aligned with the statistician duties in NOC 2161.

What NOC you used. if 2161, please shed some light

332663Rb!

Star Member
May 23, 2017

I tried reaching them through the mentioned email address, but I got the mail back saying that the address doesnt exist.

Shas1601

Jun 3, 2018
I used NOC 2161, with a letter from HR clarifying the title change and also stating the job duties were expanded while still covering statistician's job duties.
Hi @summerxx,

I am a B.tech graduate having an experience of 3+ years as a Data Scientist. Although, i feel my job responsibilities do align but I am not sure whether I fulfill the NOC CODE 2161’s graduation requirement ( it says you need a Graduation in Mathematics or Statistics). Could you please confirm if you are a graduate or a PG, and does it align with Maths or Stats? Also, what stage of the process are you in?

summerxx

Jun 12, 2016
Hi @summerxx,

I am a B.tech graduate having an experience of 3+ years as a Data Scientist. Although, i feel my job responsibilities do align but I am not sure whether I fulfill the NOC CODE 2161’s graduation requirement ( it says you need a Graduation in Mathematics or Statistics). Could you please confirm if you are a graduate or a PG, and does it align with Maths or Stats? Also, what stage of the process are you in?
My MS degree is close to Stats. I don't recall such requirement that the NOC code is tied to your degree/graduation. Maybe it got updated recently? Others please chime in!

shahvarsha

Aug 1, 2018
I also used 2161 all throughout my PR process, my job title is in Data Analytics, and job duties explicitly mentioned modeling, forecasting, visualization, data analysis, segmentation and other keywords that are aligned with the statistician duties in NOC 2161.
Hi, I am master in applied statistics from Gujarat University , India, but my designation is assistant manger. Do they match job duties with designation also. please help me on this and also if you can send reference sample stating jobs and responsibilities will be helpful in my PR process.

letsgo_canada

Star Member
Jul 20, 2018
Hi,
I am also in similar job profile.
1. Can u please share if they have accepted your NOC Code as per your experience.
2. Also can u please clarify if the education background should also match the NOC Job Profile? As I have an MBA ,but my work experience is into modelling, forecasting Vizualization etc..

Thanks in Advance.

uncommon

May 19, 2018
I used NOC 2161, with a letter from HR clarifying the title change and also stating the job duties were expanded while still covering statistician's job duties.
HI Summerxx,

I want to share my duties with you to see if it's good for NOC-2161.

Below: