+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

HELP Please!

Baha.A.T

Star Member
May 18, 2018
Hi All,
I'm a permanent resident and I'm about to get married outside Canada.
I was initially planning on bringing my wife to Canada on a visitor's visa, then once she's in Canada I would sponsor her.
However, my future wife and I are worried about the visit visa being rejected, so we agreed not to make our marriage formal until we get the visitor's visa approved first; which would leave us without a proof of relationship for the visa.

FYI, we've only been together less than the 12 months; therefore, the common-law route is not an option.

My questions are as follows:
- what is the probability of the visit visa being rejected if we apply without the marriage certificate /proof or relationship?

- If I sponsor her as a "friend" would it work? or would it be rejected and causes more issues along the way?

- if we decide to go ahead with getting married and have a marriage certificate as a proof of relationship, what are the chances of the visa rejected if we've provided all the required documents and a proof of ties to her home country (work obligations)? how can I make the visit visa idiot proof?

any input or personal experience is highly appreciated

Thank you in advance

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi All,
I'm a permanent resident and I'm about to get married outside Canada.
I was initially planning on bringing my wife to Canada on a visitor's visa, then once she's in Canada I would sponsor her.
However, my future wife and I are worried about the visit visa being rejected, so we agreed not to make our marriage formal until we get the visitor's visa approved first; which would leave us without a proof of relationship for the visa.

FYI, we've only been together less than the 12 months; therefore, the common-law route is not an option.

My questions are as follows:
- what is the probability of the visit visa being rejected if we apply without the marriage certificate /proof or relationship?

- If I sponsor her as a "friend" would it work? or would it be rejected and causes more issues along the way?

- if we decide to go ahead with getting married and have a marriage certificate as a proof of relationship, what are the chances of the visa rejected if we've provided all the required documents and a proof of ties to her home country (work obligations)? how can I make the visit visa idiot proof?

any input or personal experience is highly appreciated

Thank you in advance
Whether the TRV is approved or not will depend on the strength of her profile (not your profile or your relationship). She will want to demonstrate strong ties to her home country such as employment, property ownership (ideally), and also show she has sufficient funds to cover the costs of her trip to Canada. If she has previous travel to countries requiring visas such as the US or UK, that will strengthen her profile.

The chances of refusal will likely increase once you are married (unless her profile is extremely strong) since IRCC will know she has plans to remain in Canada long term.

There is no way to make the visit visa idiot proof and avoid all chances of rejection. There is always going to be a chance of rejection.

Reactions: Baha.A.T

furrukhrao

Jun 13, 2015
First of all congratulations on your marriage. Now Visit Visas often rejected but you can challenge them and get that sorted I will still suggest you to apply for PR in that case you need to provide evidence how you both meet and spent time together like Pictures, Ceremonies, Facebook and WhatsApp Chat.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
First of all congratulations on your marriage. Now Visit Visas often rejected but you can challenge them and get that sorted I will still suggest you to apply for PR in that case you need to provide evidence how you both meet and spent time together like Pictures, Ceremonies, Facebook and WhatsApp Chat.
I doubt you can challenge them and visit visas refusal are often final.

Baha.A.T

Star Member
May 18, 2018
Thanks for the prompt reply guys.
What if we got married and then applied for a study permit and once she's in Canada I'd sponsor her. Would that create issues along the way? and is this route better than the visit visa?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
What if we got married and then applied for a study permit and once she's in Canada I'd sponsor her. Would that create issues along the way? and is this route better than the visit visa?
Once again, it will depend on the strength of her profile and her choice of studies in Canada. She will need to show ties to her home country and also make sure her planned studies in Canada make sense based on her previous work experience and previous studies. Her planned studies in Canada will need to show a progression in studies and the level of education planned. It will be more difficult to get a study permit for her once you are married since IRCC may suspect your primary reason for applying for a study permit is to get to Canada faster to live here. This is certainly a much more expensive option than a TRV.

Baha.A.T

Star Member
May 18, 2018
Whether the TRV is approved or not will depend on the strength of her profile (not your profile or your relationship). She will want to demonstrate strong ties to her home country such as employment, property ownership (ideally), and also show she has sufficient funds to cover the costs of her trip to Canada. If she has previous travel to countries requiring visas such as the US or UK, that will strengthen her profile.

The chances of refusal will likely increase once you are married (unless her profile is extremely strong) since IRCC will know she has plans to remain in Canada long term.

There is no way to make the visit visa idiot proof and avoid all chances of rejection. There is always going to be a chance of rejection.
Thanks for the thorough explanation. would her application be affected if I'm the one who will be supporting her visit, not through her bank account?
also, would my pay slips work instead of bank statements?

Thanks again

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for the thorough explanation. would her application be affected if I'm the one who will be supporting her visit, not through her bank account?
also, would my pay slips work instead of bank statements?

Thanks again
Yes. That will reduce the chances of approval.

Baha.A.T

Star Member
May 18, 2018
Yes. That will reduce the chances of approval.
Thank you so much for your clear answers.
The way I see it is to proceed with the original plan with a visitor's visa and include a marriage certificate as a proof of relationship. We will try to get as many proof of ties as we can (work obligations and assets back home) and hope that would suffice.

would you happen to have more recommendations? I'd really appreciate that.

Cheers

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you so much for your clear answers.
The way I see it is to proceed with the original plan with a visitor's visa and include a marriage certificate as a proof of relationship. We will try to get as many proof of ties as we can (work obligations and assets back home) and hope that would suffice.

would you happen to have more recommendations? I'd really appreciate that.

Cheers
The only other recomendation I have is to be prepared for a 50/50 chance of approval / refusal and to have a plan of what you will do if the TRV is refused. In that case, you will need to sponsor your wife for PR. Keep in mind that you must be in Canada to submit that application and must continue living in Canada while that application is processed. Good luck with the TRV.

furrukhrao

Jun 13, 2015
I doubt you can challenge them and visit visas refusal are often final.
You can challenge them like for example my brother was rejected and the officer said you have no plan to leave the country. They spent 25K with a lawyer and challenge it and won because a spouse definitely plan to live together.

I would not suggest anyone to go this route just follow spouse sponsor and get PR directly.

furrukhrao

Jun 13, 2015
If you are a PR go to your country marry with pictures and spend like a Month. Later come here and sponsor her.

Baha.A.T

Star Member
May 18, 2018
If you are a PR go to your country marry with pictures and spend like a Month. Later come here and sponsor her.
Thank you for the advice, furrukhrao,
The issue with directly sponsoring my wife would be the processing time. right now the processing time is 18 months and we're looking for a way to get her to Canada as fast as possible.

Cheers,

HeDidit

Sep 10, 2022
I think the best option is as mentioned by @Baha.A.T , kudos to you brother. Go ahead with a visiting visa with all necessary proofs of tie, and then, consummate the marriage and get the certificate and use same to include her in your PR application. But as someone rightly mentioned above, the IRCC ought to know that the major reason for a spouse coming to see a partner is ultimately for them to cohabit perpetually? May God help us.

furrukhrao

Jun 13, 2015
Thank you for the advice, furrukhrao,
The issue with directly sponsoring my wife would be the processing time. right now the processing time is 18 months and we're looking for a way to get her to Canada as fast as possible.

Cheers,
1 Year + but there is no chance of rejection since IRCC cant reject a spouse :)