+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help Please! Working more than 20 hours in just one week accidentally.

rogelcorral

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2018
Can anyone guide me how do I count my weeks for 20hours/week? Monday to Sunday?

Sorry for this stupid question. Any light into this would be grateful.
You can check it from your payslip.
Can anyone guide me how do I count my weeks for 20hours/week? Monday to Sunday?

Sorry for this stupid question. Any light into this would be grateful.
Your paystub should show how many hours you worked on a particular pay period. If you are paid biweekly, it doesn’t show up on a per week, though.

chakera

Jul 29, 2020
Hi everyone,
Let say I have worked more than 20 hours during sem break and that is totally fine.
Question is - How would the IRCC know and make sure that the more than 20 hours rendered was indeed during the break?

They know everything as the college and university sends enrolment letters to IRCC for all international students for all semesters they are enrolled. If you are audited they would probably know that you were woking in semester break.

ChaeShin

Oct 24, 2021
Hi, I have a similar question.
What if I had to cover for someone for like couple of hours and then I am 1 hour above the 20?
Will that couple of hours really put me at risk? It won’t be a repeated thing.

miguelca

May 6, 2021
Hi, I have a similar question.
What if I had to cover for someone for like couple of hours and then I am 1 hour above the 20?
Will that couple of hours really put me at risk? It won’t be a repeated thing.
The law says 20 hours.

You will see people that have worked a couple of extra hours any other week without any repercussion. Good for them.
There are also people that worked past 20 hours per week and got deported.

It’s whatever hourly pay you are getting worth the anxiety of the IRCC maybe finding out? Your call. Don’t rely on other people luck for such a sensible topic as your immigration plan

ChaeShin

Oct 24, 2021
The law says 20 hours.

You will see people that have worked a couple of extra hours any other week without any repercussion. Good for them.
There are also people that worked past 20 hours per week and got deported.

It’s whatever hourly pay you are getting worth the anxiety of the IRCC maybe finding out? Your call. Don’t rely on other people luck for such a sensible topic as your immigration plan
The thing is… It’s not like I worked that extra hour for the money. I work as a therapist for an individual with ASD and he needs an aid 24/7. If some one shows up late, I have no choice. I’m just wondering if they are any flexible with situations like this, or if I should just ask my boss to take down that one hour and not get paid for that hour.

miguelca

May 6, 2021
The thing is… It’s not like I worked that extra hour for the money. I work as a therapist for an individual with ASD and he needs an aid 24/7. If some one shows up late, I have no choice. I’m just wondering if they are any flexible with situations like this, or if I should just ask my boss to take down that one hour and not get paid for that hour.

There are no exceptions.
If you want to get super technical. The fact that you are not getting paid, it’s still cataloged as work.
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1288&top=17

My 2 cents: I did in fact work some weeks above the 20 hours. 21-22. But there were some weeks that I will completely not work. So that the YTD paystub will “balance” as if I had only worked 20h per week. I got my PGWP without any issue.
Good luck.

Jenny ooo

Dec 7, 2021
They know everything as the college and university sends enrolment letters to IRCC for all international students for all semesters they are enrolled. If you are audited they would probably know that you were woking in semester break.
so are international students in Canada allowed to work more than 20hrs on a semester break?

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP
I'm almost on my semester break. Next week I just have a two-hour final exam and that's it. Would I be allowed to work more than 20 hours that week or do I have to wait the week after when I don't have any classes at all?

keys8014

Feb 4, 2021
I'm almost on my semester break. Next week I just have a two-hour final exam and that's it. Would I be allowed to work more than 20 hours that week or do I have to wait the week after when I don't have any classes at all?
since that week is not your "official" sem break, you still cannot work more than 20 hours.

Reactions: andrews17

jahsjsjd

Apr 13, 2020
What about?
So my problem is I exceeded my hours a few times, one week - 25.99, after a few months I worked 20.15 on one week 22 the other week ,20.15 the third week (I noticed it two years after it happened) After that I have never worked more than 20 during academic session, do you think I should write a LOE about it?