+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help Please!, question about proof for common law.

dmstlr1002

Jul 29, 2019
Hi there,

My girlfriend and I have been dating for 4 years now and living together for 8months.
Now that I start preparing the required documents, but proof we have seems not enough, so I am asking for help!

what we have:
Accountless photos taken for the past 4 years.
Phone and internet bills that unfortunately still have only her name on them,
but I've been paying for them with my credit card.
My driver license with our home address on it.(lease contract has only her name on it)
Utility bills with our home address and my name on them as a payee.

No joint bank account.

Please, let me know if the proofs are enough!
Thank you so much!!!!!

AB CA

Oct 11, 2019
Alberta, Canada
To be eligible to sponsor your common law partner you are required to have lived together for at least 12 months so you have a while yet before you can submit an application. You are going to need to show proof that you resided at the same address as your girlfriend for those 12 months, as you are not on the lease agreement you can provide dated letters and bills addressed to yourself at the same address covering the 12 month period you have lived together.

Reactions: dmstlr1002

dmstlr1002

Jul 29, 2019
To be eligible to sponsor your common law partner you are required to have lived together for at least 12 months so you have a while yet before you can submit an application. You are going to need to show proof that you resided at the same address as your girlfriend for those 12 months, as you are not on the lease agreement you can provide dated letters and bills addressed to yourself at the same address covering the 12 month period you have lived together.
Thank you so much for your reply, but is that enough? assuming that we have been living together for 12 months?

AB CA

Oct 11, 2019
Alberta, Canada
Thank you so much for your reply, but is that enough? assuming that we have been living together for 12 months?
You should include any additional documents that can confirm that you have lived together for 12 months. Is the landlord aware that you are living at the address? They could also write a letter to include in the application stating that they knew you were living there and from what date you moved in.

dmstlr1002

Jul 29, 2019
You should include any additional documents that can confirm that you have lived together for 12 months. Is the landlord aware that you are living at the address? They could also write a letter to include in the application stating that they knew you were living there and from what date you moved in.
The landlord seems really not interested in what is going on in the flat, but what I have, as mentioned, my driver license with the address on it and Utility bills that I have been paying with my credit card. is that enough!!!??

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
The landlord seems really not interested in what is going on in the flat, but what I have, as mentioned, my driver license with the address on it and Utility bills that I have been paying with my credit card. is that enough!!!??
Have you looked at the checklist? You need more proofs with your actual name. Do you have individual bank/credit card statements with the address? Payslips? Amazon invoices?

Reactions: AB CA