Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-12-2013
AOR Received.
05-12-2013
Med's Done....
09-24-2013
Hi: I just got married to my Canadian husband last week and am now back in the US ready to submit my visa application by the end of the month. I've already sent off for my FBI check and have medical exams scheduled for myself and two children (I'll be bringing with me). I want to go live with my husband in BC by spring, even if it means leaving my stuff behind. To my understanding, I can go "visit" him and as long as the visa app has been turned in, can stay legally, just cannot work? I've also been told that I can still submit my application outland - is this right? Ideally, I'd like to be able to live up there asap and still be able to travel back to Washington to see my sickly father, but also have heard that until the application is accepted would not be able to leave the country? Please, help??? I can't afford a lawyer and just want to be a family already - what is all of your best advice? Normally, I'd be more patient and just stay here in the states but with strike wait times at 3yrs!!! my heart sinks at the thought of being without my husband that long. What should I do?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi

As a visa-exempt American, you can go to Canada as a visitor but cannot work.

You can apply outland even while being in Canada.

You do not have to stay in Canada during the processing, you can leave whenever you want. Just know that frequently crossing the border could lead to some increased questioning.

The wait time is nowhere near 3 years. Ottawa processes US apps and averages around 8 months. Have a look at the Ottawa thread and spreadsheet

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/cppottawa-t118769.3945.html
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AieZfLOxQt2FdDgzNTFmc2E2bjJjVUhGVlhPMEcwbWc#gid=0

aflower

Sep 7, 2013
Seattle
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottowa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-12-2013
AOR Received.
05-12-2013
Med's Done....
09-24-2013
Thank you so much for the information! The whole process feels very overwhelming. Do you think it's okay to do my medical exams now and send in the app fully completed in the next month? I can't afford to retake the medical exams if the visa process takes too long, but read that it's best to submitted a "completed package." Also, I keep reading that it's best to submit online - but how can you do that when there's so much other stuff to mail in: passports, pictures...
Finally, my situation is complex cuz I'm bringing kids with and the school board says they can't attend school unless I have landed or have a work visa. Can I apply for a work visa if I've already put in a spousal visa?

CdnandTrini

Champion Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visa Office......
Port of Spain
App. Filed.......
Feb. 7, 2013
AOR Received.
Sept. 10, 2013 and "in process" Sept. 24, 2013
File Transfer...
March 28, 2013 (sponsor approval confirmed)
Med's Done....
Jan. 18, 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Oct. 7, 2013 - Thank you Jesus!
VISA ISSUED...
Nov. 4, 2013 - Thank you Lord
LANDED..........
Dec. 14, 2013 - Praise God. PR Card Feb. 14, 2014
aflower said:
Thank you so much for the information! The whole process feels very overwhelming. Do you think it's okay to do my medical exams now and send in the app fully completed in the next month? I can't afford to retake the medical exams if the visa process takes too long, but read that it's best to submitted a "completed package." Also, I keep reading that it's best to submit online - but how can you do that when there's so much other stuff to mail in: passports, pictures...
Finally, my situation is complex cuz I'm bringing kids with and the school board says they can't attend school unless I have landed or have a work visa. Can I apply for a work visa if I've already put in a spousal visa?
Hi aflower, I can answer 2 of your questions. PR applications cannot be submitted online now for the very reasons you stated above. I believe CIC is working toward bringing them online but not for awhile. It is the temporary travel visas (aka visitor visas) that can be completed online.

Try to schedule your medicals as close to the day you submit your application as possible. If your are near the end of the process CIC can now extend them so many people do not have to redo them as this was always a big problem. Hopefully you and your kids will be approved before then :D!!

I am not sure of the school/work visa thing but someone will know and chime in on that. If you are married though why can't your husband register the kids in school even if you are visiting? I think this must vary with each province as you certainly used to be able to do this in Ontario. Best wishes and blessings.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
aflower said:
You can apply for a work permit but you will need a job offer with a positive Labour Market Opinion.

After you submit the PR app and come back to Canada, go speak to the school board and make sure to take your husband with you, it might help for the request to come from him as a Canadian. From what other people have said on here, it seems to be up to individual schools and school boards whether to allow children of PR applicants to go to school.