+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

HELP PLEASE - Already Entered Canada as a Permanent Resident??

aflower

Sep 7, 2013
Seattle
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottowa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-12-2013
AOR Received.
05-12-2013
Med's Done....
09-24-2013
HELP PLEASE?

I have been waiting for almost two months on an approval letter for my sponsor. Well, we got the letter today and I am sooo confused.

My parents and I were landed immigrants in Canada in 1980 and I lived there for the first 13 yrs of my life. Anyway, I haven't been in Canada as a resident since 1993, but the letter says that I have previously entered Canada as a permanent resident and I have to determine my current Canadian Immigration Status. It gives me no guide on how to do it and the directions as to what follows are so vague.

Does anyone know how I can look that up? Is it possible I may not have to get a sponsor after being out of Canada for 20yrs? I'd love to avoid this immigration process if possible.

Sabrinkh

Oct 11, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Cairo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-07-2013
AOR Received.
29-10-2013
Med's Done....
18-04-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
29-01-2014
Im surprised you didnt get your citizenship by then. You would have been able to come and go as you pleased. If you were only a PR then your status is gone because you have to live in canada for at least 2-3 out of every 5 years i believe. You may have to be sponsored or go through immigration all over again.

aflower

Sep 7, 2013
Seattle
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottowa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-12-2013
AOR Received.
05-12-2013
Med's Done....
09-24-2013
Thank you for the advice. I was only 13yrs at the time, so becoming Canadian was not on my mind at the time. But from my understanding of it, becoming a Canadian does not give you the right to have dual citizenship. I don't plan on becoming a Canadian in the future either. I'd like to be an American that's PR in Canada.

Anyway, I will email the CIC and see what's going on. Not thrilled to potentially have this process delayed any more. Fingers crossed they'll just let be skip the process and be a PR since I grew up here.

MapleLeafBride

Dec 3, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-12-2013
Doc's Request.
06-06-2014
AOR Received.
08-01-2014
File Transfer...
15-01-2014
Med's Done....
26-08-2013
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
08-08-2014
LANDED..........
25-08-2014
aflower said:
Thank you for the advice. I was only 13yrs at the time, so becoming Canadian was not on my mind at the time. But from my understanding of it, becoming a Canadian does not give you the right to have dual citizenship. I don't plan on becoming a Canadian in the future either. I'd like to be an American that's PR in Canada.

Anyway, I will email the CIC and see what's going on. Not thrilled to potentially have this process delayed any more. Fingers crossed they'll just let be skip the process and be a PR since I grew up here.
You can be a dual Canadian-American citizen if that's what you were talking about in the first part of this message. You don't have to give either up.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

aflower said:

1. You have to either apply for a TD and get refused, and not appeal and your previous PR is gone or your are going to have to renounce your PR status, see: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2013/ob505.asp