+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

HELP PLEASE! Airline denied boarding with valid COPR (issued before March 18 2020)

2Rxist

Jul 18, 2013
Hi All,

This morning, my parents were not allowed to board their flight on Lufthansa Airlines from Kenya to Vancouver, even though they had valid COPR and all necessary travel documents, with additional communication from CIC verifying that they were exempt from COVID travel restrictions. We have a quarantine plan prepared as well.
Here are the details:

My parents COPR was issued before March 18 2020, so they are officially allowed to travel to Canada
Travelling from Kenya to Vancouver on Lufthansa (stop over in Frankfurt).

They were denied boarding at the Lufthansa check-in counter, with the reason officially being that travel documents were missing (I got that information by calling Lufthansa Frankfurt office just a few minutes ago).
While my parents were having issues checking in, I was able to speak with the Lufthansa check-in agent in real time (called Mom and amazingly the Lufthansa agent took her phone to speak with me!). I was told 2 different reasons why they were not allowed on the flight:

1. Passport did not have valid ETA (according to CIC, if valid COPR is present, ETA not required; also, the ETA IS still valid, with printed confirmation showing that);
2. 30 minutes later, they demanded a "Card" from her in order to board. When asked what specific card they need, I was told they called the "Canadian Border" and her "Card" was not prepared in Canada, therefore not allowed to board.

While this was happening, my wife had called CBSA border services info line, and they agreed with us that my parents should have been allowed on.

Lufthansa never specified exactly what "card" was needed, I have spoken to 3 different agents over the day. Extremely frustrating situation.

I am thinking of booking with another airline.

Can anyone confirm any other airline that is allowing COPR holders to travel to Canada?

Was hoping for any insight or advice regarding our current situation.

Thanks guys

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
They definitely don't need eTAs or cards of any sort if they have PR visas stamped in their passports and COPRs.

I'm guessing the Lufthansa agents were confused and assumed your parents were already PRs who needed to show their PR cards; if they call the Canadian border with wrong information ("we have passengers here who say they're Canadian permanent residents") they will of course get wrong information in return. It sounds like this is a problem with the airline. You should consider booking on another carrier if possible, and filing a complaint if you can.

Reactions: YVR123 and mpsqra

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi All,

This morning, my parents were not allowed to board their flight on Lufthansa Airlines from Kenya to Vancouver, even though they had valid COPR and all necessary travel documents, with additional communication from CIC verifying that they were exempt from COVID travel restrictions. We have a quarantine plan prepared as well.
Here are the details:

My parents COPR was issued before March 18 2020, so they are officially allowed to travel to Canada

They were denied boarding at the Lufthansa check-in counter, with the reason officially being that travel documents were missing (I got that information by calling Lufthansa Frankfurt office just a few minutes ago).
While my parents were having issues checking in, I was able to speak with the Lufthansa check-in agent in real time (called Mom and amazingly the Lufthansa agent took her phone to speak with me!). I was told 2 different reasons why they were not allowed on the flight:

1. Passport did not have valid ETA (according to CIC, if valid COPR is present, ETA not required; also, the ETA IS still valid, with printed confirmation showing that);
2. 30 minutes later, they demanded a "Card" from her in order to board. When asked what specific card they need, I was told they called the "Canadian Border" and her "Card" was not prepared in Canada, therefore not allowed to board.

While this was happening, my wife had called CBSA border services info line, and they agreed with us that my parents should have been allowed on.

Lufthansa never specified exactly what "card" was needed, I have spoken to 3 different agents over the day. Extremely frustrating situation.

Can anyone confirm any other airline that is allowing COPR holders to travel to Canada?

Thanks guys
It sounds like a mistake by the airline. As long as your parents' COPRs are still valid they should have been allowed to board.

I would book with another airline and also submit a complaint to Lufthansa for a full refund. They messed up.

I'm assuming they were asking about a PR card. Of course that won't be issued to your parents until after they become PRs. The COPR should have been enough to board.

2Rxist

Jul 18, 2013
It sounds like a mistake by the airline. As long as your parents' COPRs are still valid they should have been allowed to board.

I would book with another airline and also submit a complaint to Lufthansa for a full refund. They messed up.

I'm assuming they were asking about a PR card. Of course that won't be issued to your parents until after they become PRs. The COPR should have been enough to board.
Totally agree with you, and will take your advice on sending a complaint to Lufthansa. Of course Lufthansa will not give a straight refund for the missed flight (the way the agent documented passenger absence was no-show) so according to their system, parents just did not show up and the flight carried on. No fault by Lufthansa. They offered a voucher valid for 1 year.

Gonna try and rebook, and if it happens again, backup plan to book with another airline and accept that Lufthansa will have stolen $$$$ for their stupid mistake.

Ill update with the end result.

Reactions: scylla

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Hi All,

Here are the details:

Thanks guys
travel documents were missing, which one?
passport with a visa/counterfoil on it?

*** check list ***
https://travel.gc.ca/air/pre-boarding-checklist
https://moving2canada.com/essential-list/

Last edited:

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
Someone didn't want to take the responsibility of letting them board for fear of them getting into trouble if your parents were refused entry.

Unfortunately, this is how the airlines are. When your parents are in that situation they need to be firm with the staff, and tell them they have a right to come to Canada, they should print out the announcements on the IRCC website and show them clearly the exemptions that allow them to travel.

Reactions: Garth 117

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Someone didn't want to take the responsibility of letting them board for fear of them getting into trouble if your parents were refused entry.

Unfortunately, this is how the airlines are. When your parents are in that situation they need to be firm with the staff, and tell them they have a right to come to Canada, they should print out the announcements on the IRCC website and show them clearly the exemptions that allow them to travel.
you are right
but
sometime, some people do not use proper identification related to CoPR, like other nationality on passport.
now a day ( coronavirus included ) arliners are extreamlely fearful
plus any worldwide event

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
you are right
but
sometime, some people do not use proper identification related to CoPR, like other nationality on passport.
now a day ( coronavirus included ) arliners are extreamlely fearful
plus any worldwide event
Sure, but it's a no-brainer, you use the nationality with which you applied for PR, i.e. the passport IRCC issued your PR visa and the COPR which has the details associated with that passport.

His or her parents must know this, i can't imagine they didn't.

But i agree, you need to be prepared properly and ensure you have all the documentation ready.

I know this because i went through the same thing when i landed, the airline didn't want to let me board, but i showed them everything i needed to.

Last edited:
Reactions: mpsqra

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Sure, but it's a no-brainer, you use the nationality with which you applied for PR, i.e. the passport IRCC issued your PR visa and the COPR which has the details associated with that passport.

His or her parents must know this, i can't imagine they didn't.

But i agree, you need to be prepared properly and ensure you have all the documentation ready.

I know this because i went through the same thing when i landed, the airline didn't want to let me board, but i showed them everything i need.
hopefully, you did

Bhavikjazzy

Jun 3, 2017
Yes seems like Airline fault. I first came by KLM to Vancouver and I was not posed any such problems with my COPR. Anyway, you can try Air Canada instead. Not the best but at least it will work. Just make sure that immigration process will happen at the first city of landing in Canada.

Bornlucky

May 15, 2018

Hi - I'm just guessing here that when they said that they had called the Canadian Border what actually happened is that they called the local CBSA representative who is an "Airline Liaison" at the Canadian High Commission in Nairobi.

It sounds like a miscommunication between the airline representative and the local Canadian who routinely provides direction to airlines. They may only be available over the phone these days but they used to be on-site in many airports.

The airlines fear fines for boarding inadmissible passengers and routinely seek the advice of different countries who have airline liaisons posted locally in embassies and high commissions. It "sounds" like they heard a PR wants to board without a PR Card without digesting the fact that they're new PRs on their way to Canada for the first time.

Just a guess, but their call to the Canadian Border may have been the Canadian Border Agency. Contacting the High Commission (if you can) may clear it up but the airline will probably say that they "checked" with Canada and this is what they were advised.

Good luck