+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help out a noob, please

nikolain

Apr 28, 2014
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello everybody,

I'm a pro when it comes to Express Entry, just completed my landing in Toronto yesterday but now i'm getting married with a girl from India in November. When it comes to Spousal PR i'm a complete noob, so would like the guidance of you people here ?

1. How much time does the total processing take ? I know it states 12 months on the website, but what is the current processing times that you guys are experiencing ?
2. I have been in Canada since past 4 years (Study & Work Permits) so will my Assessment be faster ?
3. Before we get married what documents should i tell my Fiancee to get ready so that we can apply for her Spousal PR just after our marriage ?
4. I'm working in Toronto while she will be in India, so where should we apply, i guess it will be NDVO only as Spouse is Outland.

Thank you.

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
Hello everybody,

I'm a pro when it comes to Express Entry, just completed my landing in Toronto yesterday but now i'm getting married with a girl from India in November. When it comes to Spousal PR i'm a complete noob, so would like the guidance of you people here ?

1. How much time does the total processing take ? I know it states 12 months on the website, but what is the current processing times that you guys are experiencing ?
2. I have been in Canada since past 4 years (Study & Work Permits) so will my Assessment be faster ?
3. Before we get married what documents should i tell my Fiancee to get ready so that we can apply for her Spousal PR just after our marriage ?
4. I'm working in Toronto while she will be in India, so where should we apply, i guess it will be NDVO only as Spouse is Outland.

Thank you.
1. Expect 12 months. With the new process they are aiming to get 80 percent of cases done within that timeframe. It could be faster, but it's impossible to know. You should check the NDVO thread.
2. No
3. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5525ETOC.asp
4. Spousal applications are sent to the processing office in Mississauga first. From there, they will get transferred to the visa office.

Janchor

Apr 25, 2017
Hello everybody,

Thank you.
The spreadsheet below will give you a rough idea of the timelines. Currently applicants from Feb 2017 New Delhi are getting their 'decision made'. The checklist on the CIC website would be a good place to start and will be your guide for all the documents required. Do save all your chats, phone logs and any evidence of your relationship as supporting evidence. Feel free to shoot any questions you may have, we are all here to help you.
Check this out
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dJsaLvHra4173xPfRwZbXo73hsxoXaLSJ5-tcm7qnJI/edit?usp=sharing

nikolain

Apr 28, 2014
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you kcward7 & Janchor for your inputs, the tracker that Janchor posted looks promising.

Pitt1234

Star Member
Sep 28, 2016
Get all the police certificates (for all the countries where your spouse has stayed for more than 6 months). Also, depending on the place of your marriage, you may also need to figure out how much time it takes to get a marriage certificate. In India you could get it in a day. In Canada it takes few weeks.

You can perhaps go through the checklist and see the docs required.

>> 3. Before we get married what documents should i tell my Fiancee to get ready so that we can apply for her Spousal PR just after our marriage ?

dhvanixox

Star Member
Jul 29, 2017
Hello everybody,

Thank you.
Hello,

I am currently sponsoring my husband (we got married in India). I will try to give you as much information as I remember from what I did to prepare the application file.

1. It does say 12 months, but I know some of my friends who's partners were in India and the whole processing time only took 4-5 months. Its pretty quick right now. To give you an example, a friend of mine sent in the application in Feb 2017 and landed end of June 2017!!! that's super fast! so Hopefully it will be the same case for you.

2. I don't think so since you are sponsoring your wife who is in India. It won't matter what your history is regarding visas and such.

3. The documents & other things that you will definitely need to put in the application:
  • marriage certificate (make certified copies just incase if they ask to submit an original document, so that you can keep the original certificate and send certified copy = not necessary though)
  • wife's birth certificate
  • wife's adhar card copy
  • passport copy
Other things - PLEASE READ
  • Take photos at different times and different days when you are with your wife (they ask to submit MAXIMUM 20 photos but they should be at different times, different locations = these 20 includes your wedding pictures, ceremonies pictures, and random pictures with your wife) Include family members/ friends as well. You'll find more information on the checklist.
  • Save Receipts of restaurants, shops. If you buy gifts for each other, save those receipts. Save greeting cards if you send one to each other.
  • Save your flight ticket and boarding passes
  • Save Movie Tickets, etc
  • Save text messages, phone call screenshots, email convos = again better if at different times and days. Start saving them now so you don't have to go look for them later on. (You are only allowed to put 10 pages on Word for this FYI)
  • Jot down the date when you both meet for the first time, and description of your first meeting. Stuff you will need to fill in the forms.
  • Save your wedding invitation to add into the application for proof.
  • Save screenshots of your relationship status on FB
  • If you go on honeymoon, save flight tickets, boarding passes, etc.
** Beneficial if you can add your wife's name into the employment health insurance or create a joint bank account or transfer money to your wife. - Save proof of this. You will need to submit ONE of such thing with the application. I didn't have that so we ended up writing a letter explaining why we don't have that. But it would be nice if you guys have that. I wish we knew about that before.

4. You send the application to OUTLAND Mississauga office. They will process it and send it to New Delhi.

I hope this information helps. I didn't know about such things when I was in India for our wedding. Good Luck!

Reactions: nikolain

Janchor

Apr 25, 2017
Thank you kcward7 & Janchor for your inputs, the tracker that Janchor posted looks promising.
Quite a few March applications got their background check in progress yest which brings down Delhi timelines to around 4 months from start to end.

nikolain

Apr 28, 2014
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Excellent reply dhvanixox, i'll start doing all those things, i'm happy that people are getting in 4-5 months.

Reactions: dhvanixox

nikolain

Apr 28, 2014
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I had one more question, our wedding according to all Hindu customs is taking place on 21st November, but i'm planning of getting married earlier in the court in the 1st week of October so that i have a 2 month headstart for her PR application, so my question is can i apply for her PR right after our Court marriage in October and then later attach photos of our actual wedding in November ?

dhvanixox

Star Member
Jul 29, 2017
I had one more question, our wedding according to all Hindu customs is taking place on 21st November, but i'm planning of getting married earlier in the court in the 1st week of October so that i have a 2 month headstart for her PR application, so my question is can i apply for her PR right after our Court marriage in October and then later attach photos of our actual wedding in November ?
Please check private conversation for the answer

Reactions: nikolain

Mnpatel228

Star Member
Jul 16, 2017
I have mailed NDVO about status of my application and their reply is as below

Dear Applicant,

This is with reference to your Email dated July 24,2017.

Under Canada’s immigration legislation, all immigrant applications are subject to statutory requirements, including medical and background checks.

These requirements must be satisfied before an applicant may be granted permanent resident status.

In this context, certain background investigations are being conducted in connection with your application.

As these investigations are conducted by outside agencies, we have no purview over the processing time.

We are therefore unable to give an exact time frame in which we expect to conclude the verifications on this case.

For now, there is no action required on your part.

Please be assured that as soon as the checks are completed the next steps in this application will be determined.

Until then, we will not be able to provide any additional information on this case.

What does this mean??