+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

help! open work permit problem

cassyau

Jan 23, 2024
I am currently applying for OWP as a sponsored spouse in Canada. My status is student (still attending school)

In imm5556 checklist
"if you are a student: Proof of your academic standing: letter from the institutional registrar and/or photocopies of transcripts from your last two periods of study"

The reason I'm rushing this owp is because I am doing poorly in academics and I will discontinue my study after this semester.

my question is
1. Do I need to provide my transcript even though I'm applying as a sponsored spouse? or is it for the people applying for PGWP?

2. if I need to submit my transcript, will it affect my chance of getting approved if my academic is not up to standards?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am currently applying for OWP as a sponsored spouse in Canada. My status is student (still attending school)

In imm5556 checklist
"if you are a student: Proof of your academic standing: letter from the institutional registrar and/or photocopies of transcripts from your last two periods of study"

The reason I'm rushing this owp is because I am doing poorly in academics and I will discontinue my study after this semester.

my question is
1. Do I need to provide my transcript even though I'm applying as a sponsored spouse? or is it for the people applying for PGWP?

2. if I need to submit my transcript, will it affect my chance of getting approved if my academic is not up to standards?
Yes you should provide a transcipt and would also include a letter showing that you are currently registered and attending school. This will indicate that you are following the requirement of your study permit and are attending school. Some stop attending school and should have lost their study permit due to the fact that they are no longer a student. If you have significant proof that you are in a relationship and that you didn’t get married to secure PR in Canada then your current grads should not be an issue. You should continue attending classes and do as best as you can because it is in your best interest in the long run in case something does happen to your sponsorship.