+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help needed..!

COC

Star Member
Jan 28, 2014
Hey there,

Background:
Mine: I came to Canada on a student visa. I studied 2 years of valid post-secondary program. I got work permit for 3 years ending in 2016. So right now I am on a work permit. I am working in a good company on a position that is considered under the skilled category B. and also it is completely related to my studies. In July 2014 I'll get eligible for PR under CEC category as I've 2 yrs of post secondary education and one year of skilled experience. Now marriage just got fixed last month, which is planned to be executed later this year.( end of 2014) for now (not exactly decided yet!). So now I've to look something for my spouse too.

Spouse: She applied for work permit in the mid of the year 2013. she was hired by a canadian company in Montreal. and that company was doing whole file for her. she got rejection. and the reason from CIC was: the company where she was working back home is not valid or seems suspicious. So the CIC was not satisfied with the working criteria. ( Even though the company is very valid) (But I am guessing that when CIC called in the company, the representer might have not given proper or satisfactory answer to the CIC, which leaded CIC to the unsatisfaction)

now as I am not married yet, I can't call her on a DOWP. But I can call her on visitor visa. so my planning is;

Strategy:

1) Call her on a 'Visitor visa'.

2) if she gets one, then she will be here soon (may be after 2 months, according to the processing time). and then once she comes here, I want to apply work permit for her.
- Now here in this second step I am bit confused.
i) I can apply a normal work permit for her.
OR
ii) the other option is I can go for a civil marriage (on paper marriage) and after that I can apply for DOWP for her.

==> So here guys I want you all to suggest me or guide me that whether I should apply for normal OWP or DOWP. please suggest me the one which has a high chances of success.

3) And then I'll be married to her already (even though I apply normal OWP for her, I'll marry her so that I can add her in my PR file). So then in July,2014 I'll apply for my PR under CEC category adding my spouse to my file.
And also I wanted to ask, If I add my spouse to PR file, Does she also has to give IELTS? Do I have to add her IELTS marksheet in my PR file?

COC

Star Member
Jan 28, 2014
Suggestions, advises, opinions about my strategy are welcome from every corner and needed..!!
Thanks in adv..!!

wessless

Aug 11, 2013
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
20-06-2013
Doc's Request.
17-02-2014 RPRF/BIODATA
AOR Received.
12-08-2013
Med's Request
12-02-2014
Med's Done....
14-02-2014
Passport Req..
25-02-2014
LANDED..........
02-04-2014
Hi there
So you have your options already layed out which is great. Once your spouse to be gets approved for a Visitor visa and comes to Canada you will atleast have to do a civil marriage before you apply for her work permit. Once you guys are married, you can definitely add her to your PR application under CEC. Since you will be the principal applicant, you're the only one required to submit IELTS scores. Goodluck!!

COC

Star Member
Jan 28, 2014
Yeah but I am asking that should I go for DOWP or a normal work permit for my wife?? Which has a high chances of success.
N is my way/planning appropriate or not..??

Or should I go for my PR first as a single and then get married and then apply for my spouse on my dependence..!!!????

orgchem

Star Member
Jan 6, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-11-2013
AOR Received.
22-12-2013
I think DOWP would be good choice than OWP. I never seen any of my friend got rejected DOWP after landing Canada. But many rejection case are there in case of OWP.

Including your spouse name wouldn't affect your PR application. Only you principal applicant need to give IELTS or CELPIP.

COC

Star Member
Jan 28, 2014
thank u very much orgchem for your advice..!!

I also wanted an opinion regarding my 1st step. My spouse has already got a rejection when she applied for a work permit in the mid of 2013. So what is the best option,
visitor visa OR
DOWP (in order to apply DOWP I will go to back home and merry her first very soon).

orgchem

Star Member
Jan 6, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-11-2013
AOR Received.
22-12-2013
Ohh. If you are applying for visitor visa doesn't make sense as first time applied OWP and got rejected. It's obvious that immigration officer would suspect.

My suggestion would be first marry her in your home country. Then apply for a work permit. There is nothing as such called DOWP. It is just OWP with spouse is already working in Canada.

To success the work permit,

1. Show enough funding (your contract and pay stuff, some solid funding in your bank statement or your spouse bank statement, your parent or spouse parent affidavit showing that they support your spouse)
2. Show some property in your home country
3. Show evidence that after work permit expires your spouse will go back (evidence like jobs in your home country for your spouse, property on your spouse name, etc)

If you are being in a good job and good salary (>~$40000) per annum, then getting a work permit for your spouse is not difficult. You can write a cover letter including all these details and mention that you and your spouse would go back after work permit expires.

COC

Star Member
Jan 28, 2014
But I got a suggestion that if she has already got a rejection in work permit category, do not go for work permit again. Because CIC would suspect that just to get the work permit or to enter Canada this candidate did marriage.

JPMH_CEC_2013

Star Member
Apr 16, 2013
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-07-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with file
Visitor visa is not a good option as she has already applied for a WP and got rejected.Better apply for a OWP after wedding. Good Luck!!!

maria_786

Champion Member
Oct 3, 2013
COC said:
Hey there,

Background:
Mine: I came to Canada on a student visa. I studied 2 years of valid post-secondary program. I got work permit for 3 years ending in 2016. So right now I am on a work permit. I am working in a good company on a position that is considered under the skilled category B. and also it is completely related to my studies. In July 2014 I'll get eligible for PR under CEC category as I've 2 yrs of post secondary education and one year of skilled experience. Now marriage just got fixed last month, which is planned to be executed later this year.( end of 2014) for now (not exactly decided yet!). So now I've to look something for my spouse too.

Spouse: She applied for work permit in the mid of the year 2013. she was hired by a canadian company in Montreal. and that company was doing whole file for her. she got rejection. and the reason from CIC was: the company where she was working back home is not valid or seems suspicious. So the CIC was not satisfied with the working criteria. ( Even though the company is very valid) (But I am guessing that when CIC called in the company, the representer might have not given proper or satisfactory answer to the CIC, which leaded CIC to the unsatisfaction)

now as I am not married yet, I can't call her on a DOWP. But I can call her on visitor visa. so my planning is;

Strategy:

1) Call her on a 'Visitor visa'.

2) if she gets one, then she will be here soon (may be after 2 months, according to the processing time). and then once she comes here, I want to apply work permit for her.
- Now here in this second step I am bit confused.
i) I can apply a normal work permit for her.
OR
ii) the other option is I can go for a civil marriage (on paper marriage) and after that I can apply for DOWP for her.

==> So here guys I want you all to suggest me or guide me that whether I should apply for normal OWP or DOWP. please suggest me the one which has a high chances of success.

3) And then I'll be married to her already (even though I apply normal OWP for her, I'll marry her so that I can add her in my PR file). So then in July,2014 I'll apply for my PR under CEC category adding my spouse to my file.
And also I wanted to ask, If I add my spouse to PR file, Does she also has to give IELTS? Do I have to add her IELTS marksheet in my PR file?

Im pretty sure i had known someone with a similar situation and they applied for OWP after they got married. so my suggestion is for sure add her to ur PR file

COC

Star Member
Jan 28, 2014
1) If I get married in the Feb,2014 or March,2014 on paper ( Civil marriage ) then would I be able to add my spouse to my PR file in July,2014? or does it require a sum of days we lived together (like common-law relationships?)..????

2) I apply for DOWP for my spouse and if in case it gets rejected (2nd time rejection for her), then would I be able to add her in my PR file in July,2014? will it gonna make any delays or bad impact on the PR file??

3) My work permit gets expired in March,2016. I am currently working in a company full time on a skilled position. if I apply for PR in July,2014, then after that Do I have to apply for Bridging Open Work Permit?

4) How do I count my hours? I've been working full time in a company on a skilled position since 22nd July,2013. So if we consider a year experience then on 22nd July,2014 I would complete a year, meaning that I completed a year experience. So then I am planning to put my file on 25th July,2014. Would that be okay? Does it complete my hours required to put a PR file under CEC category, adding my spouse to my file?

Thanks in adv to all..!!!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
COC said:
1) If I get married in the Feb,2014 or March,2014 on paper ( Civil marriage ) then would I be able to add my spouse to my PR file in July,2014? or does it require a sum of days we lived together (like common-law relationships?)..????

Yes, but it would be better if you are living together as spouses.

2) I apply for DOWP for my spouse and if in case it gets rejected (2nd time rejection for her), then would I be able to add her in my PR file in July,2014? will it gonna make any delays or bad impact on the PR file??

If you apply for a spousal open work permit (SOWP), the application is evaluated based on YOUR work permit, not her qualifications. It won't matter that she has been refused before (as long as you are honest about it).

3) My work permit gets expired in March,2016. I am currently working in a company full time on a skilled position. if I apply for PR in July,2014, then after that Do I have to apply for Bridging Open Work Permit?

If you apply in July 2014, most likely you will have a response before your work permit expires. There is no requirement that you must apply for a BOWP. If your PR application is in process, you are only eligible to apply for the BOWP if the work permit will expire within 4 months (i.e. not sooner than December 2015).

4) How do I count my hours? I've been working full time in a company on a skilled position since 22nd July,2013. So if we consider a year experience then on 22nd July,2014 I would complete a year, meaning that I completed a year experience. So then I am planning to put my file on 25th July,2014. Would that be okay? Does it complete my hours required to put a PR file under CEC category, adding my spouse to my file?

If you are working full-time (more than 30 hours per week), you do not count your hours, no need. You only need 1 year of full-time experience. Your letter of employment must indicate the number of hours you work per week, and must be dated after you complete the year.