+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help needed URGENTLY

art_nicolaenco

Nov 14, 2016
Hey guys. I'll make it short. I'm a Moldovan citizen with a Canadian PR status since 2007. Travelling with a group of friends to Cancun this Sunday Feb 9 (in 4 days). Just noticed today my PR card is expired, yes du*b me. Any chances I can still travel or it's a lost case? I can prove that I meet permanent residency obligations easily. Is there anything I can do? Travel to mexico and take a chance on a way back? Scary and not worth it? I might also need mexican visa since moldovan citizen do require visas unlike Canadian PR holders.

Any thoughts? I just want to make sure I try everything before I give up.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hey guys. I'll make it short. I'm a Moldovan citizen with a Canadian PR status since 2007. Travelling with a group of friends to Cancun this Sunday Feb 9 (in 4 days). Just noticed today my PR card is expired, yes du*b me. Any chances I can still travel or it's a lost case? I can prove that I meet permanent residency obligations easily. Is there anything I can do? Travel to mexico and take a chance on a way back? Scary and not worth it? I might also need mexican visa since moldovan citizen do require visas unlike Canadian PR holders.

Any thoughts? I just want to make sure I try everything before I give up.
You won't be allowed to board the plane to Mexico without a valid PR card or Mexican visa. Unless you can get a visa by Sunday, you are out of luck.

If you were able to get to Mexico somehow, you would not be allowed to board a plane back to Canada without a valid PR card or PRTD. You could fly into the US and cross into Canada at a land border.

Expensive mistake.

art_nicolaenco

Nov 14, 2016
You won't be allowed to board the plane to Mexico without a valid PR card or Mexican visa. Unless you can get a visa by Sunday, you are out of luck.

If you were able to get to Mexico somehow, you would not be allowed to board a plane back to Canada without a valid PR card or PRTD. You could fly into the US and cross into Canada at a land border.

Expensive mistake.
Yes. Sounds about right. My only hope right now I think is to try to get mexican visa in a day (wish me luck) and then apply for a prtd once in Mexico. Now, would you know about the processing time for a prtd in Mexico city? I can't find any more or less relevant info online.
We're only staying in Mexico city for a few days as we're off to Cancun for the rest of the trip. This doesn't make things any easier. Are they able to urgently process the application for a prtd? I had about 2 months since we booked everything and didn't bother checking my docs as I was sure they're fine. What a mistake. Kicking myself for that now

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes. Sounds about right. My only hope right now I think is to try to get mexican visa in a day (wish me luck) and then apply for a prtd once in Mexico. Now, would you know about the processing time for a prtd in Mexico city? I can't find any more or less relevant info online.
We're only staying in Mexico city for a few days as we're off to Cancun for the rest of the trip. This doesn't make things any easier. Are they able to urgently process the application for a prtd? I had about 2 months since we booked everything and didn't bother checking my docs as I was sure they're fine. What a mistake. Kicking myself for that now
There's no urgent processing for a PRTD. You should make sure you have at least 1 week to allow for the PRTD to be processed. However no guarantee it would be ready within this period of time. How long are you there?

If the PRTD takes too long to process, you would have to fly to the US and then re-enter Canada through a land border.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
There are no posted processing times for PRTDs. No urgent processing. It can take weeks or longer. I don't believe Mexico is a VO known for its speed.

As already said, your option would be to fly to the US and cross into Canada by land.

art_nicolaenco

Nov 14, 2016
We're staying 3 days in Mexico City and then 4 days in Cancun. The whole trip is week long. Nothing is falling right unfortunately for me and it's my own fault. I dont have a US visa either so unable to travel to the States. I think i'll just call it a night and give up on the idea. Too much risk involved, unless staying in Mexico City and waiting for a PRTD becomes feasible. Thanks for your answers guys! It helped clarify the situation

art_nicolaenco

Nov 14, 2016
Update for anyone who might find this info useful. I was able to get my Mexican visa done in 2 days (collecting the passport tomorrow). They're really nice people and gave efforts with my case here in Montreal general consulate. Now flying to Mexico is sorted. I'm preparing my application for prtd ready so I can hand it in as soon as I step my foot in Mexico city. Hoping to have it sorted successfully as well. The new issue that came up is that all my travel docs will be held at the visa office so I'm not sure I could board my flight to Cancun. Well, another obstacle to overcome :)

Reactions: scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Update for anyone who might find this info useful. I was able to get my Mexican visa done in 2 days (collecting the passport tomorrow). They're really nice people and gave efforts with my case here in Montreal general consulate. Now flying to Mexico is sorted. I'm preparing my application for prtd ready so I can hand it in as soon as I step my foot in Mexico city. Hoping to have it sorted successfully as well. The new issue that came up is that all my travel docs will be held at the visa office so I'm not sure I could board my flight to Cancun. Well, another obstacle to overcome :)
Yes - your passport has to be submitted with the PRTD application.