+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help needed regarding spousal sponsorship and OPW

arcan

Sep 11, 2015
Hi everyone, my wife is Canadian (from Quebec) and I am an international student.I just submitted my Spousal sponsorship application(Inland) recently.I heard that I can apply for open work permit after submitting spousal sponsor application.

But I can't find if I am eligible for open work permit or not ?
How can I find that application form?I couldn't find online .
What's the fees for open work permit application ?
and how long it takes to get work permit ?

Since my wife is full time student and I can't do anything because of not having work permit.I can't fulfill my basis necessities like paying my bills and traveling fares etc.

Any advice will be appreciated this is my first post but I have been visiting this forum and I find it very helpful.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You should have posted this in the Family Class forum, but...

You can apply for the OWP now, as long as you still have legal status in Canada ( which it sounds like you do).

The form is IMM5710 and the total fee is $255 (NOT $155).

It will take ~ 4 months for you to get the OWP.

Good luck!

arcan

Sep 11, 2015
Thanks for your reply :)

I have legal status but it will be expire after a month I am still eligible to apply for OPW?
If yes,then where can I find that form IMM5710?

simrawrr

Sep 2, 2015
Hi my friend applied for her husband in april 2014 they both live in canada she is a PR and he has a work permit anyone else with the same situation

arcan

Sep 11, 2015
simrawrr said:
Hi my friend applied for her husband in april 2014 they both live in canada she is a PR and he has a work permit anyone else with the same situation
Do I have to apply for my visit visa extension ? or now i can legally stay since my spousal sponsorship application is submitted already?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
arcan said:
Do I have to apply for my visit visa extension ? or now i can legally stay since my spousal sponsorship application is submitted already?
Sending in the Inland application alone does NOT give you implied status. If you had included the OWP with your Inland application (in the same envelope), you would now be under implied status.

Since your visitor visa is expiring in about 2 weeks...and the fact that you have not sent an OWP, I suggest that you do apply to extend your visitor visa, which will then give you implied status while you wait to hear back on the extension. You should also include the OWP with the extension. Be sure to pay the correct amount for the OWP ($255) along with the fee for the visitor extension.