Help needed on International Mobility Program with LMIA exepmtion

sweelinck

Star Member
Aug 2, 2020
Poland
Category........
BUSINESS
Hi everyone!
I need your help for a doubt I have, and for which I couldn't find any reference online.
I am a performing musician, and for time-limited engagements (not on regular payroll) I don't need any work permit, as clearly stated at the IRCC website.
Now I have a part-time job offer, for a long term work in the music sector (same NOC as the performing musician), but I want to know if after I get the work permit I would still be able to perform occasional concerts, since the job is part-time and I will have the need of earning more money.
I'm applying under the International Mobility Program (LMIA exempt, Canadian interests R250a).
I have also applied for PR as self-employed artist in October 2020, but the processing time has jumped to 34 months...
Thanks in advance for your help.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi everyone!
I need your help for a doubt I have, and for which I couldn't find any reference online.
I am a performing musician, and for time-limited engagements (not on regular payroll) I don't need any work permit, as clearly stated at the IRCC website.
Now I have a part-time job offer, for a long term work in the music sector (same NOC as the performing musician), but I want to know if after I get the work permit I would still be able to perform occasional concerts, since the job is part-time and I will have the need of earning more money.
I'm applying under the International Mobility Program (LMIA exempt, Canadian interests R250a).
I have also applied for PR as self-employed artist in October 2020, but the processing time has jumped to 34 months...
Thanks in advance for your help.
The work permit you receive will be tied to a specific employer and only allow you to work for that employer in Canada.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
So I will not be able to work even for other situations where I don't need a work permit?
Please check 186g, I fall into this category for my extra concerts:
https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-2002-227/page-39.html#docCont
IMO it's tricky if this exemption will apply to what you're trying to do. Basically you'll be looking to get a work permit while the same time taking advantage of working further in Canada without a work permit. You should get a consult with an immigration lawyer on this.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

IMO it's tricky if this exemption will apply to what you're trying to do. Basically you'll be looking to get a work permit while the same time taking advantage of working further in Canada without a work permit. You should get a consult with an immigration lawyer on this.
1. The OP should note it is unlikely the employer would be able to obtain an LMIA for a part time job.

sweelinck

Star Member
Aug 2, 2020
Poland
Category........
BUSINESS
but we are talking about jobs (performing occasional concerts in a limited time) that are allowed to be done WITHOUT work permit

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

but we are talking about jobs (performing occasional concerts in a limited time) that are allowed to be done WITHOUT work permit
1. Re-read the OP's post. He is asking about a long term part time position. Not the occasional performance which are LMIA exempt.