+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help needed for CEC application - currently working in Montreal

montreal

Jun 4, 2007
Hi,
I have been working in Montreal for past 5 years on a work permit for same employer but never thought of applying of PR as things were fine until now. But in past couple of years things are changing and difficult and very lengthy to get Work Permit so planning to apply for CEC. I don't know French and don't plan to learn it in future. I am in IT industry and never required it here in Montreal.
I know under CEC, I can apply from Quebec but cannot intend to live in Quebec. My question is what are issues that I may face and what are my options?
1) Since I already live and worked for 5 years and how will it be possible to convince the CIC that I will move out of Quebec
2) Since my job doesn't need me to be physically present at a particular location (all i need is laptop, internet & phone) I can convince my current employer to allow me to work from home for few months (3 to 6) from other province.
3) We also have an office in Toronto so I can ask for a transfer to toronto office.
4) our client is in Montreal and eventually I will either plan to move back to Montreal or find new job in Toronto.

Please advise as to how I should go ahead with my application and if there is anything I can provide to CIC that will convince them about my intend to live outside Quebec.

thanks
Hari

montreal

Jun 4, 2007
but since I already worked with my current employer for 5 yrs on WP won't make the CIC assume that I will continue to work with them even after I get my PR?
Since I can arrange for transfer to Toronto office, shouldn't I include some thing to make my case stronger? if yes what will be needed. will a job offer from my current employer or a transfer letter will do? will that create any issues with my Work Permit application if I have to file for a renewal during the PR processing?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The option of transferring to the Toronto office is a good idea but if you are not really planning to, I am sure CIC would also find that to be a question why you haven't already if your CEC application takes 11 months to process like they do but still, do try. Do you qualify for Quebec skilled worker?

montreal

Jun 4, 2007
No, I do not qualify under Quebec as I don't know to speak French. It will be too difficult for me to pass their French test.
I didn't move to Toronto is because our client is Montreal based but I don't work at client place, I have to visit their office rarely, sometimes maybe once in 2 or 3 months. Currently I haven't been to my client since December 2010. it is only when there is a meeting and cann't be done over phone. It is good to be in Montreal but not necessary and therefore my company has preferred to keep me in Montreal.

If I get PR, they will be easily ready to transfer me to Toronto office or allow to work from home in Toronto as they promote WFH policy if client allows. It saves them money on office space, internet, phone line, etc... But do you think it will be hard to convince CIC that I will move to Toronto after PR? As to your reply why I cannot move during the processing period is that if I ask for transfer to Toronto my employer will have to get a LMO for my Work Permit renewal and they won't take that risk as I already have CAQ valid until May 2013.

jsa

Jul 11, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
rcd on 8th june 2011
AOR Received.
19th august
IELTS Request
along with application
Med's Request
september 1st 2011
Med's Done....
september 9th 2011
hey. dont be confused. as long as you have worked full time for two years you are eligible to apply under cec. but you have to be prepare to live outside of qubec. if possible ask for transfer or leave the job and find some one somewhere else other than qubec. for cec even you can quit your job and apply and go back to your country still it will be processed under normal procedure...........!!!! dont think too much it is as straight as it is...!!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
montreal said:
If I get PR, they will be easily ready to transfer me to Toronto office or allow to work from home in Toronto as they promote WFH policy if client allows. It saves them money on office space, internet, phone line, etc... But do you think it will be hard to convince CIC that I will move to Toronto after PR? As to your reply why I cannot move during the processing period is that if I ask for transfer to Toronto my employer will have to get a LMO for my Work Permit renewal and they won't take that risk as I already have CAQ valid until May 2013.
Yes, use that as your reasons. You will have a letter from the employer stating this as well? It should work. And make sure you land outside Quebec to save yourself some trouble.