+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help Needed for a Beginner in an IT field in Vancouver BC

fishnchip92

Star Member
May 24, 2021
Can you provide the official link from the IRCC website that says you can? Because according to IRCC:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/change-schools.html

If you change schools and don’t tell us
Your old school will report you as not being registered to study. If this happens:

• you’re breaking the conditions of your study permit
  • you may be asked to leave the country
  • this may prevent you from coming to Canada in the future
    • For example, you may not be approved for another study or work permit in the future.
Changing your DLI if you’re outside Canada
If you change your DLI before coming to Canada and you don’t let us know, you won’t be allowed to board your flight.

If your application is still in progress
You can tell us you changed your DLI by submitting a new letter of acceptance using the IRCC web form.

If your application has been approved
If your application for a study permit has been approved and you change your DLI, you must submit a new study permit application with a new letter of acceptance.

You must also pay all the fees for the new application.

Always rely on the official IRCC statement to be safe.
From what I read it seems like the Changing DLI falls under Changing DLI if your outside Canada category and it doesn’t explicitly mention anything if the applicant is already in Canada. However, reading throughout it seems (correct me if I’m wrong)
If one have to change school after landing,
One still has be to enrolled in an approved DLI
Actively studying in the DLI
If above is satisfied the applicant might be eligible to change school without new Study Permit by providing Enrolment letter or something of that sort.
This rule that says: you need to be actively studying was there since 2019. I have below link that you can see this info was on the IRCC website since 2019 and before. so it is not new.

https://www.mycism.com/2019/10/can-i-change-schools-while-im-in-canada/
1. That isn’t from official source and if your scroll down the article was modified last in 2019 and a lot has changed in those years. As for your question see my reply above.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
I'm sorry but you are so wrong, I have two of my friends who recently started their studies. One of them changed his studies before he enters Canada, the other one changed it after he came to Canada, both of them without having to apply for a new one, all they did was to update the DLI info on their online account. You need to have proof other than just say what you like.
Just because one was able to do that doesn't mean that it was the right procedure. You really won't know until you're applying for your next study or work permit. If it was me, I would be on the safer side

rogelcorral

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2018
From the same page that you cut it and only showed half of the info, see below:

Post-secondary students changing schools
If you change post-secondary schools, the school you plan to change to must also be a DLI. Please check the DLI list and confirm your new school is a DLI before you commit to changing schools.

You must tell us each time you change post-secondary schools. Changing the post-secondary school on your account is a free service.

You don’t need to apply to change your study permit if you are changing schools.

Post-secondary studies include:

• university
  • community college, CEGEP, institute
  • private university, career college, academy, school or training institution and
  • ESL/FSL and other language training
Hey, it’s totally up to you, man. the decision is yours alone. There are specific rules. IRCC placed this at the very top of that page:

Changing your school or program
Before you change your school or program, you must meet all the conditions of your study permit. This means you must be:
You need to contact us if you:
You can change DLI without applying for a new SP provided you meet certain conditions (i.e. enrolled and actively studying).

Again, the decision is yours.

Reactions: wonderbly

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
I'm sorry but you are so wrong, I have two of my friends who recently started their studies. One of them changed his studies before he enters Canada, the other one changed it after he came to Canada, both of them without having to apply for a new one, all they did was to update the DLI info on their online account. You need to have proof other than just say what you like.
Rule is simple and clear.

“you need to be enrolled and actively taking studies while in Canada.”
We dont interprete rule simply because friend violated it… your friend will need pgwp in future

fishnchip92

Star Member
May 24, 2021
Not to scare OP but this case is complicated more than it appears for many reasons.

1. Because OP has cancelled the classes , he/she does not have enrollment letter for changing DLI, hence changing DLI without applying for new Study permit is out of window .

2. It is likely that OP has to apply for new Study Permit, but since OP is in Canada already, filling out the new study permit application will be quite a task especially the current residing address because this might raise suspicions of immigration fraud.

Huge mistake of OP was to cancel classes , I really hope OP hasn't asked to cancel admission and asked for a refund, if that is case, it is all downhill from the day of class cancelled.

Reactions: rogelcorral