+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help needed: Education History

Canadan

Jan 8, 2018
I applied for Express Entry and was invited. In the initial EE questionnaire, I included only my Canadian PhD in the Education History section (and received full points).

Now I am filling out the full questionnaire for the application and I am very unsure of what to do:

1. In the Education History section, do I also need to include my two British degrees (BA and Masters)? Ie., Should I spell out full edication history here?

2. If I do include my foreign BA and Masters degrees in the Education History section, am I obligated to have an ECA for them? Will I get a rejected application if I include my two foreign degrees in this section when they do not have an ECA? I assume the Canadian PhD trumps everything.

3. Is it just best to keep the two foreign degrees in the personal history section? (And still upload the certificates of my BA and Masters in the education proof section?)

Please help.

noscaf2014

Nov 2, 2016
Only the Canadian Ph.D. goes in the Education History section. Other degrees need to be listed in the Personal History section only. This way, you
1. will get the maximum CRS points,
2. will not need to evaluate other degrees, and
3. will not even need to upload any proofs for these other degrees.​
Good Luck!

Canadan

Jan 8, 2018
Only the Canadian Ph.D. goes in the Education History section. Other degrees need to be listed in the Personal History section only. This way, you
1. will get the maximum CRS points,
2. will not need to evaluate other degrees, and
3. will not even need to upload any proofs for these other degrees.​
Good Luck!

Thank you!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
I applied for Express Entry and was invited. In the initial EE questionnaire, I included only my Canadian PhD in the Education History section (and received full points).

Now I am filling out the full questionnaire for the application and I am very unsure of what to do:

1. In the Education History section, do I also need to include my two British degrees (BA and Masters)? Ie., Should I spell out full edication history here?

YES.

2. If I do include my foreign BA and Masters degrees in the Education History section, am I obligated to have an ECA for them? Will I get a rejected application if I include my two foreign degrees in this section when they do not have an ECA? I assume the Canadian PhD trumps everything.

No ECA. But you should upload copies of the degree diploma.

3. Is it just best to keep the two foreign degrees in the personal history section? (And still upload the certificates of my BA and Masters in the education proof section?)

Include all your education in the education section, and do upload the certificates. No ECA required.

Canadan

Jan 8, 2018
Thank you for your response. One person says do not upload, the other person says do upload. Why cannot CIC provide an easy to read and clean decisive answer on this. This is the kind of gumminess of the PR application that frustrates me. Are you sure I will not be rejected for stating my two British degrees in the Education History section with no ECA?

Reactions: cindyu

noscaf2014

Nov 2, 2016
Thank you for your response. One person says do not upload, the other person says do upload. Why cannot CIC provide an easy to read and clean decisive answer on this. This is the kind of gumminess of the PR application that frustrates me. Are you sure I will not be rejected for stating my two British degrees in the Education History section with no ECA?
Please ignore the above, this only complicates the application with no reason. You have a Candian degree. You don't need to list other degrees in the Education History section or upload any certificates. BTW, I helped a friend with his application and he had the exact same education you have (Canadian Ph.D. and foreign M.Sc. and B.Sc.). That was 4 weeks ago and his application is already approved and that is exactly what we did. At the end, it is your decision. Good Luck!

Last edited:

Canadan

Jan 8, 2018
Please ignore the above, this only complicates the application with no reason. You have a Candian degree. You don't need to list other degrees in the Education History section or upload any certificates. BTW, I helped a friend with his application and he had the exact same education you have (Canadian Ph.D. and foreign M.Sc. and B.Sc.). That was 4 weeks ago and his application is already approved and that is exactly what we did. At the end, it is your decision. Good Luck!
Many thanks!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Good luck. You are probably fine just documenting the Canadian PhD, given the December updates to instructions.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/express-entry/applications-received-on-after-january-1-2016-completeness-check.html

I only suggest including them because (a) previous instructions were different, (b) I have seen applications returned as incomplete for missing such documents (based on previous instructions) and (c) It does not complicate anything to include them(unless for some reason you do not have them).

cindyu

Mar 21, 2016
What if the highest degree is not Canadian? Can I only include the degree I'm claiming points for? I only have an ECA for that one, a Master's from the US, but not my Bachelor's.

nikhil1

Sep 17, 2018
What if the highest degree is not Canadian? Can I only include the degree I'm claiming points for? I only have an ECA for that one, a Master's from the US, but not my Bachelor's.
I have the same question as cindyu. Could someone advise on this.
@cindyu did you find the answer to your question?

cindyu

Mar 21, 2016
I have the same question as cindyu. Could someone advise on this.
@cindyu did you find the answer to your question?
I only did ECA for my Master's from the US. That's my current highest education and I just went by it throughout my Express Entry application before and after ITA. For the actual PR application, I did not mention my Bachelor's under Education and did not upload my Bachelor's diplomas or transcript, just my master's, because that is the BASIS of my points if that makes sense. I only mentioned my Master's because that's where the points I'm claiming for came from. I did mention my Bachelor's under personal activities where you have to list all of your activities in the last 10 years. I think that's why I did. Don't quite remember, but the point is, you want to emphasize on the EVIDENCE of the points that you're claiming for. If you're claiming for points for your Master's, then including your Bachelor's is not too relevant.

ZionCanadahopeful

Star Member
Sep 6, 2018
Category........
FSW
App. Filed.......
30-10-2018
AOR Received.
22-01-2019
Med's Done....
29-02-2019
Passport Req..
01-04-2019
VISA ISSUED...
10-04-2019
LANDED..........
16-05-2019
Hi
I got my ECA done with both my bachelor and master degree. The ECA summary mentions

CANADIAN EQUIVALENCY SUMMARY
Master's degree

CREDENTIAL ANALYSIS
1.Canadian Equivalency: Bachelor's degree (four years) .... for my bachelor
2.Canadian Equivalency: Master's degree ..... for my masters

I have below questions with respect to express entry profile education history:

1. Should i mention both my bachelor and master in education history or just my master?
2. Also what does "Since what year?" mean, is it beginning of course or end of course. For example i started my bachelor in 2003 and ended in 2006, so which should i put in there.
3.Under this is my current study? It should be select as yes for my Master degree right since that was last degree i did.

Thanks

Jan 2, 2019
I've gone through the CIC website and on the page of ECA they have mentioned to get the evaluation of Highest degree. While entering your details in education history, you can mention details of all post secondary education and mention about the ECA for each education, if available or not. The system will consider only those education which are either from Canada without ECA and outside Canada with ECA for score calculation. I did both the ways and my score remained same. I have Masters from outside of Canada and Canadian equivalency is Masters and didn't had my Bachelors evaluated. Now I've furnished my Bachelors degree details with no ECA and Masters degree with ECA and System has not prompted. But, since I'm mentioning my Bachelors degree in my education history I've to upload certificate of it as well along with Masters certificate and ECA report.

Reactions: summer salmon

fjaveed1

Star Member
Sep 26, 2018
Hi
I got my ECA done with both my bachelor and master degree. The ECA summary mentions

CANADIAN EQUIVALENCY SUMMARY
Master's degree

CREDENTIAL ANALYSIS
1.Canadian Equivalency: Bachelor's degree (four years) .... for my bachelor
2.Canadian Equivalency: Master's degree ..... for my masters

I have below questions with respect to express entry profile education history:

1. Should i mention both my bachelor and master in education history or just my master?
2. Also what does "Since what year?" mean, is it beginning of course or end of course. For example i started my bachelor in 2003 and ended in 2006, so which should i put in there.
3.Under this is my current study? It should be select as yes for my Master degree right since that was last degree i did.

Thanks
hey did you get this sorted out? i am stuck in same position can you pleas help me .. what did you mention?