+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help Needed: Citizenship Application Questions

ash309

Jun 16, 2008
Etobicoke
Hello CanadaVisa Family!

Hope all of you are having a wonderful day. I was on this forum a few years ago while I waited for my PR to go through and all of you were super supportive, helpful and most of all informative.

Now it's time for me to apply for my citizenship and seek your advise again.

I have a few quick questions about the Citizenship Form [CIT 0002 (10-2017) E] form:
  1. Question 6: Names/Aliases
    • When I had came to Canada as a teenager (under refugee application with my parents) there was a mix up with my last name and it was misspelt - do I have to put my misspelt name down in this section? If yes, is it considered an Alias? Do I need to explain what the reason behind the name was?
    • Also, as most people, I have had various nicknames over my life - do I need to really put all of them down there?
  2. Question 10: Home address
    • I entered Canada on 09-29-2013, therefore I am putting the from as 2013-09 - that is technically correct - I just want to confirm if that is okay or if I should put 2013-10
  3. Question 11: Employment details
    • I didn't find a job until 2013-11 so do I just put "unemployed" (name of employer) and "looking for a job" (occupation) for the period from 2013-09 to 2013-11?
  4. MOST IMPORTANT: Question 16: Prohibitions
    • To give you some background: when I was 16, my parents came to Canada from USA under a Refugee application, which was rejected and I left Canada when I turned 19. there was technically a deportation letter for me, but I left at my own will and own money (paid for my flight).Of course after this i ended up returning to Canada on PR status because my Canadian husband sponsored me.
    • Now in this question there is a line that states "4. Are you now, or have you ever been, under a removal order (have you been asked by Canadian officials to leave Canada)?", HOWEVER on the CIC website Find out if you’re eligible page all it says is "are under a removal order (Canadian officials have asked you to leave Canada)"
      • These are two very different points and I'm not sure how I should be filling out Question 16 due to this confusion. Can someone please advise here as this is a major blocker for me right now.
Apart from those questions in relation to the form - I have some general questions too:
  • Have any of you used a representative to submit your form? If there any advantage to doing this? I am planning on just submitting my own application but would love your opinions.
    • If you have used a representative, how much did they charge for one application?
  • If I plan on taking a vacation after submitting my form for a week or two, would it be a problem? Will I be given at least a 3 week notice before any of my interviews/tests/etc.?
  • Does immigration communicate through emails for all interviews/tests/ceremonies/etc.? Or is it strictly through snail mail?
Thank you all in advance for taking the time to read this message. I hope you can help me out here so I can submit my application next week.

Last edited: