+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

help, need advice

kandiapples

Aug 21, 2022
I'm a 19 year old U.S citizen who was recently kicked out of my parent's house.
I have a friend in Nova Scotia who has a family willing to take me in.
From living with them, I plan to somehow get permanent residency so me and said friend can live together alone.
I have no family in Canada. Nor have I been, It's an emergency but I trust my friend and her family. We have no plans to get married as we are not romantic partners.

I have previous experience (1 year) working in child care. I have certifications for my state and have no criminal background. I started my first ever job in May 2021 at a daycare and haven't left since.
How would I go about working at a daycare in Canada? I've read and researched but everything seems too complicated to understand.
Any advice or explanation on how I could start working within 3 months of my staying would be appreciated, even if that means I'm not able to go into childcare immediately. I'm not too sure how to go about things since this is an emergency situation.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I'm a 19 year old U.S citizen who was recently kicked out of my parent's house.
I have a friend in Nova Scotia who has a family willing to take me in.
From living with them, I plan to somehow get permanent residency so me and said friend can live together alone.
I have no family in Canada. Nor have I been, It's an emergency but I trust my friend and her family. We have no plans to get married as we are not romantic partners.

I have previous experience (1 year) working in child care. I have certifications for my state and have no criminal background. I started my first ever job in May 2021 at a daycare and haven't left since.
How would I go about working at a daycare in Canada? I've read and researched but everything seems too complicated to understand.
Any advice or explanation on how I could start working within 3 months of my staying would be appreciated, even if that means I'm not able to go into childcare immediately. I'm not too sure how to go about things since this is an emergency situation.
Sorry for your situation. You cannot just go to NS and get a job.

You need a job offer and your employer needs to file for and pay $1k for a LMIA. The LMIA shows that no Canadian or PR could be hired, only you. Then with LMIA, you apply for a closed work permit. For the permit, you show that you are experienced to do the job. The process can take many months. So start applying for jobs on Canadian job sites. Most postings will state only if you are authorized to work in Canada so don’t apply to those. Few employers go through the process. So don’t plan that you will be able to work in Canada at all.

There is no easy path to PR on your own unless you are well educated, have money, strong IELTs scores and skilled work experience. Look at NS PNP and AIPP to get an idea of requirements.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I think you have already looked at the certificate/diploma programs to become an early childhood educator in NS.
In Canada, ECE/child care/day care workers are regulated.

Also US and Canada are 2 different countries. It's not easy to just come and work. You need work permit.
You will also not have any healthcare coverage and will need to purchase private insurnace (just like when you travel outside of US) if you decide to visit for 6 months and not work.