+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help me with MS computer science ?

buzoo

Star Member
Sep 18, 2011
hi Friends i am looking for the universities that have admissions in may intake for Masters in computer science.
My profile is somewhat like this
Btech cse 70 %
Ietls 7 band(7-R , 6-W, 7.5- S,7.5-L)
GRE- yet to give.
i wanted to apply for January 2014 batch but i think it will be late,as i yet have to give GRE and then will apply in August/September.
Senior members can you please enlighten me with your experience.My first aim will be getting good job/University education and PR in the last....

THANKS

tiger007

Champion Member
buzoo said:
hi Friends i am looking for the universities that have admissions in may intake for Masters in computer science.
My profile is somewhat like this
Btech cse 70 %
Ietls 7 band(7-R , 6-W, 7.5- S,7.5-L)
GRE- yet to give.
i wanted to apply for January 2014 batch but i think it will be late,as i yet have to give GRE and then will apply in August/September.
Senior members can you please enlighten me with your experience.My first aim will be getting good job/University education and PR in the last....

THANKS

Hi,

The decision on an application for a Canadian study permit will completely be based on one's individual application package. Usually good academic record ( especially marks of last major degree) , proper course selection (preferably showing progression in same field) consistent profile, sufficient proof of funding and a decent IELTS score is seen as a standard benchmark to get the Canadian study permit. There may be more requirements, depending upon the citizenship of one's country.

Most Canadian universities need atleast B grade or minimum 60%-65% (depending on the university) in final 2 years of a 4 years Bachelor's degree for students from India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nigeria etc. and an IELTS score of 6.5 overall (with no bands less than 6)(some top grade universities may require IELTS score of overall 7)/ equivalent score of TOEFL also accepted in most universities for being eligible to apply to Master degree programs.
You can pursue a course based master degree (M.Eng) OR a thesis based/ applied research degree MaSc. degree in CS/IT/ closely related fields. The research based degrees are usually much more competitive, where one generally needs to show some knack for research (like published papers) and selected students usually get partial or full funding.

Most universities DO NOT require GRE. Overall academic record and academic marks in Bachelor's (in your case marks in final 2 years of B.Tech) is the single biggest criteria for admission to Canadian Engineering Master degrees. Higher the Bachelor degree scores, better it is. 70% marks should get you admitted to mid level universities.

Here's the list of ALL recognized Canadian educational institutes eligible for OCWP+PGWP, listed according to province:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/institutions/participants.asp

To get into top grade universities, you are expected to have an excellent academic record.

You can see general rankings of Canadian universities.. not accurate but gives you an overall idea.. as to which universities are reputed: www.4icu.org/ca/

You need to go through the university department websites, contact the university departments to know more such as course content, graduate degree options, deadlines, tuition fees, admission procedure etc. You will have to do the hard work to find the right type of programs of your desire and shortlist; a list of say atleast 5-6 more universities, you may consider applying to.

Most universities have NO Jan/Winter intake. The application submission date for Fall 2013 (Sept) start in most universities is already long over, and you should consider applying for 2014 Fall intake, for which usually the last date can be anywhere between Nov 1 2013 (for research based programs) to Feb 1 2014 (for course based programs). Very few universities MAY have jan intake..and for that, again you have to go through all unvi. sites and search for appropriate Master degree programmes.

To know more about studying in Canada. study permit and student work permits visit the official CIC website:
www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/
www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study.asp‎
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work.asp

To know more about other student immigration programs see latest APRIL 2013 update on page 6 (mid level) of this thread:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/various-immigration-programmes-for-international-students-in-canada-t100908.75.html

Hope it helps.

***All opinions expressed are purely personal, and pieces of information mentioned are to the best of my knowledge... You should consult other sources too.

buzoo

Star Member
Sep 18, 2011
And how important is GRE ? for Canadian Universities..some say its not required but you can submit it with application now what does this mean ?

tiger007

Champion Member
buzoo said:
And how important is GRE ? for Canadian Universities..some say its not required but you can submit it with application now what does this mean ?
Hi,

It simply means, while applying for Master degrees, especially the research degrees and/or degrees where you receive funding and entry is highly competitive, in such cases... providing a very high/high GRE score is an added advantage.. strengthens your profile.. helps admission committee take better decision to judge your application...and even may be the deciding factor in your selection.

***All opinions expressed are purely personal, and pieces of information mentioned are to the best of my knowledge... You should consult other sources too.