+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help me understand my situation

Mar 3, 2013
Hi all

Have been looking this forum for many years, but I think this might be my first post.

I need help from you experts to understand my current situation, my possibilites of immigration and the best strategy towards a PR.

My wife and I have been living here in Ottawa since August 2013, when she arrived on a Student Visa and I on an Open Work Visa tied to hers.

She finished her course and applied for an OWV under the Post Graduation Work Permit. I applied together for a renewal of my OWV. We are now both on OWV valid until the expiration of our Brazilian passports, in March 2018.

She started working as an Interior Decorator in June 2015. I started working on skilled jobs in May 2014 (first as site supervisor, then architectural technician and project manager. Now between jobs, but should be getting something in a similar level hopefully soon).

I heard that because my Visa is dependent on my wife's, there is nothing I can do towards a PR. I should try and get a Visa not tied to hers (like a Work Permit tied to a job offer in my name) to be able to apply. Is this information correct?

It seems right now the only way for us is to wait until my wife makes 1 year of job experience for us to apply under CEC.

The rules change all the time and although I try to keep up to date I might have missed something. So I'm here asking for your help: HELP!

Thanks a lot!
-
Cleber

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You can certainly apply for PR if you qualify. The fact you are on an OWP that's dependent on your wife's work permit doesn't matter.

One or both of you might qualify to apply under Express Entry / Federal Skilled Worker. You might also qualify to apply under a provincial nomination program. You'll have to research to find out.

Mar 3, 2013
Scylla

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, that information never made much sense to me. I will proceed in making my profile at CIC whenever my english tests arrive.

Cheers!
-
Cleber