+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

HELP!! Is this misrepresentation?

EECEC

Star Member
Aug 19, 2017
Hello All,

I have submitted my PR application and something just came to my mind. I would like to share it here and seek some advice...

I came to Canada for university in 2011, and after graduation, I applied for my PGWP in 2016. When I applied for my PGWP, I put my martial status as "single" because here in Alberta, we are only considered in common law relationship after living together for 3 years. At that time, I had only been living with my partner for two years so I thought we were single according to the law in Alberta.

I applied for PR and while filling the forms in June, I finally realized that CIC had a different definition of Common Law (one year). So I gave out all details like the date that we started cohabitation together was in 2014. I applied alone and chose "common law partner not accompanying".

So, what are the chances that CIC dig into my PGWP application in 2016 and determined that I was "misrepresenting" myself? I wasn't trying to hide/ change facts because regardless of the change of my marital status at that time I would have get my PGWP anyway.

Thank you.

Elenyan

May 22, 2016
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01-05-2018
AOR Received.
02-05-2018
Med's Done....
09-05-2018
Hello All,

I have submitted my PR application and something just came to my mind. I would like to share it here and seek some advice...

I came to Canada for university in 2011, and after graduation, I applied for my PGWP in 2016. When I applied for my PGWP, I put my martial status as "single" because here in Alberta, we are only considered in common law relationship after living together for 3 years. At that time, I had only been living with my partner for two years so I thought we were single according to the law in Alberta.

I applied for PR and while filling the forms in June, I finally realized that CIC had a different definition of Common Law (one year). So I gave out all details like the date that we started cohabitation together was in 2014. I applied alone and chose "common law partner not accompanying".

So, what are the chances that CIC dig into my PGWP application in 2016 and determined that I was "misrepresenting" myself? I wasn't trying to hide/ change facts because regardless of the change of my marital status at that time I would have get my PGWP anyway.

Thank you.
In any on the two applications, was there an actual question "How long have you been living together?"

EECEC

Star Member
Aug 19, 2017
In any on the two applications, was there an actual question "How long have you been living together?"
Thanks for your reply.

No, when applying PGWP, it only has a drop down menu for me to choose my marital status but didn't ask for how long have we been living together, however, in the immigration application though, it asks for the first date that we start living together so I put in the actual date.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hello All,

Thank you.
As long as you have correctly stated your current marital/common-law status and you have declared your partner (non-accompanying) in your PR application, you are unlikely to have any issues related to your historical error on your PGWP application.

EECEC

Star Member
Aug 19, 2017
As long as you have correctly stated your current marital/common-law status and you have declared your partner (non-accompanying) in your PR application, you are unlikely to have any issues related to your historical error on your PGWP application.
Yes. When filling in my PR application, I gave out all actual dates, supporting by different documents. So for sure I am giving out correct information this time. I didn't even write a letter to explain this situation because I just came to realize it last night, almost 2 months after the submission :oops: Hopefully no one notices or no one cares...