+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help in divorced situation

Ankit Gandhi

Jan 17, 2012
Hi
My wife sponsored me and i came from india before 1 year on PR visa. Everything was going good but from last some times we are not happy with each other. She is thinking to be get seperated through divorce.
Recently i am studying my master deegree in canada..
We discussed already but our marriage life is going to be end soon.
Can i know if i get divorce from my wife, i would be not allowed to stay here on PR visa?
Can i continue my study and stay here on any other way so that i can be permanent if divorce affect my PR status?
Please reply soon..

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi
My wife sponsored me and i came from india before 1 year on PR visa. Everything was going good but from last some times we are not happy with each other. She is thinking to be get seperated through divorce.
Recently i am studying my master deegree in canada..
We discussed already but our marriage life is going to be end soon.
Can i know if i get divorce from my wife, i would be not allowed to stay here on PR visa?
Can i continue my study and stay here on any other way so that i can be permanent if divorce affect my PR status?
Please reply soon..
You can keep your PR status.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I don't have citizenship of canada so are you sure that i can live and study my deegree even after i take divorce?
It's all about my future..
Pls make confirmation.
Yes - confirming you can remain in Canada and keep your PR status. Your PR status is not dependent or conditional on your spouse. It's yours to keep.

Reactions: Buletruck

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The one issue is that you can not sponsor another spouse for 5 years from your landing date when you got your PR.

Ankit Gandhi

Jan 17, 2012
Yes - confirming you can remain in Canada and keep your PR status. Your PR status is not dependent or conditional on your spouse. It's yours to keep.
Thank you for the advice but as i received next reply from someone else that i can't sponsor anyone in next 5 years if i marry someone in future..
Is it true? Then how can i settle here if i will marry any indian girl in future?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you for the advice but as i received next reply from someone else that i can't sponsor anyone in next 5 years if i marry someone in future..
Is it true? Then how can i settle here if i will marry any indian girl in future?
Yes, it's true. Marry a Canadian or wait 5 years.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Can i call any girl on visitor visa and then marry here? And then can i file for her PR?
Did you not read the answer above in that you cannot sponsor a new spouse for 5 years from the the time you became a landed PR through your current spouse . So sure you can marry again but cannot sponsor a new wife for 5 years.

Eligibility all stated in following link even though implies ‘may not’ as opposed to ‘cannot’ so read into that as you want.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/spouse-partner-children/eligibility.html

Last edited:

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
I’m positive there’s more than likely single Indian girls already in Canada

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
This prevents people from getting married solely for immigration purposes then getting divorced and only to marry and sponsor someone else.

Most people who are still married and thinking about going through a divorce are not in a rush to get remarried. Depending on how long you have been in Canada you may not be eligible for a divorce in Canada yet.

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes - that's correct.

You can marry someone new as soon as you have officially divorced. However you cannot sponsor your new spouse for PR until five years have passed from the time you landed in Canada and became a PR. This rule is in place to prevent immigration fraud.

In terms of how you can settle here, that's really up to you to sort out on your own. The law is clear - you cannot sponsor for the full five year period. There are no exceptions granted.